PDA

View Full Version : Is tis croup or something else?

tnaallen
02-02-2006, 05:44 PM
My two year old has not had any signs of a cold or anything and then today she's started having this wet productive cough. Kind of like after you eat something greasy and you end up cough that junk up. Then she sounds clear, but upon breathing in after that cough and talkinbg after it she sounds a little hoarse. Nothing is bad or even enough for me to really tell something is happening or not, but I can definately hear the hoarseness and the junky cough. She doesn't seemed bothered by it at all, and has no other symptoms. I only know croup is the hoarse cough, but nothing else matches up.

What do you think?

Amy

Aerynne
02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Croup sounds like the bark of a seal; it's not just a cough. Hope she feels better soon. :hug

jujubnme
02-02-2006, 06:03 PM
My experience with croup is that the cough has a harsh barking sound, kiwm? Really tight in the chest. My ds just had a cold that started out with a phlemy cough with no other symptoms for two days and then a full-blown head cold. Maybe that's what your dd has?

tiglet
02-02-2006, 10:39 PM
My experience with croup is that the cough has a harsh barking sound, kiwm? Really tight in the chest. My ds just had a cold that started out with a phlemy cough with no other symptoms for two days and then a full-blown head cold. Maybe that's what your dd has?

This just happened to us, also. Except B's latest cough that turned into a cold had a croupy phase for two days. Croup is any virus that decides to live in the larnyx - so a child can get it again and again. It really sounds loud, painful, and different.

tnaallen
02-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Ok - not sure where the hoarse voice went, but it's just a phlemy (very phlmy) cough today. She also had a fever in the night that's gone now. I guess t's just a respiratory virus. :( That actually makes me feel better since I have al the homepathatic treatments for that since she's had it before.

Thaks ladies!

Amy