PDA

View Full Version : How to get started?

Close2MyHeart
02-01-2006, 06:11 AM
Ok, this is going to sound dumb. :blush I'm seriously drawn to vegetarianism. It intrigues me & I, personally, can see how it can be very healthy. I've thought a lot over the past 6 months of becoming a vegetarian, but my family doesn't eat that way & I know there's no way dh could give up his meat. (And can I for that matter?? I think I could, but sometimes I wonder... :shifty )

I'm curious to know if it would be spendy money-wise & time-wise for just ME to eat this way, but still feed the family the regular things we eat? And how do you get started?? I mean, cutting out meat would be easy, but what about those things that I don't realize contain meat?? oh and I LOVE milk & cheese?? would I have to cut these out too??

Do you know of any good websites where I can get recipes & ideas??

fancifulfrog
02-01-2006, 10:14 AM
A vegetarian can eat milk and cheese as well as any other animal byproducts. Vegans on the other hand will not consume any animal products or byproducts. If you are doing it strictly from a health perspective you would probably be just fine. If you are doing it from an activism standpoint it may get difficult. It takes a lot of self control. I have been a vegetarian and went back to eating meat for health reasons. Good luck on your search for healthy eating.

ShangriLewis
02-04-2006, 11:21 PM
vegweb or vegsource are my favorites! You can look through the mesage boards here or ask lots of questions :mrgreen

lumpofclay
02-04-2006, 11:29 PM
Considering you are interested but not committed, I think a good first step is to find yummy veggie recipes. Use them more and more and you can slowly phase out meat (or greatly reduce how often you use it).

asher
02-05-2006, 07:45 PM
A few weeks ago I made the switch from meat eating to vegetarian. I still eat cheese & dairy. The kids & dh still eat meat. At this point we're eating mostly vegetarian meals, or meals w. meat, but I take the meat out. It's actually been very easy, although dh needs some reminding every now he's been very supportive. I don't miss eating meat & at times when I think about it, it seems very unappetizing, actually. There are A LOT of tasty recipes out there, too!

Close2MyHeart
02-06-2006, 05:54 AM
I wouldn't mind cutting out chicken & red meat, but I'm not so sure about fish. I :heart salmon, lobster, shrimp, etc. :P

I'm still thinking. I've done a few vegetarian recipes that were VERY yummy!! I also went to a baby shower this weekend where 90% of the food was vegetarian. Yummm... it was really good!