PDA

View Full Version : what would you do

arwen
01-30-2006, 12:46 PM
i've been having recurrent uti's...
i had one....and took anit's for it...it solved it..then we went to De. and in DC i had to use the bathroom...well, we got stuck in an hour traffic...i even tried to pee in a cup and i couldn't....sigh....if i had it would have been solved.

so anyway.....got there...got some antis...took the 5 days....still felt funny, refilled it and took the other 5 days.

well....first day without and i feel funny and i'm peeing like 4 times a half hour....what would you do?

go ahead and call? i don't know what to do and i don't udnerstand why i get like this....i haven't been like this in forever :cry
i'm frustrated and nervous...

Bonnie
01-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Sounds like they need to culture it and make sure you're getting the right meds for the bug in question. Sometimes the one-size-fits-all abx aren't. If they do a culture, they can tell what will actually kill it.

arwen
01-30-2006, 06:44 PM
yeah, they wanted to do that last time but we don't have insurance and she said we probably shouldn't do that cause of cost....i hate having to add so much more to our medical bills... :(

mommy2abigail
01-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Don't know what you've tried so far, but here are somethings off the top of my head:
1. Chiropractic - we paid for a whole year for myself, dd, and dh for about $2,600. Yes, it's alot, but we go 3x a week, more if we are sick, and now we don't really go to the dr. unless it's bad.
2. Probiotics - Acidophilus (sp?) will restore the healthy bacteria in your system, which if it's low may be contributing to the recurrent infections.
3. Water, water, water will help flush your system and help prevent buildup in your UT.
HTH! Saying :pray for your health!

arwen
01-30-2006, 07:17 PM
chiro is out for sure....we make 275 a week...and that's it :shifty

i'm doing the rest...i guess i'll call tomorrow.

thank you for the advice though! :mrgreen

cobluegirl
01-30-2006, 07:22 PM
(((HUGS))) I have no advice....Will see if I can't look something up for you in the meantime.

arwen
01-30-2006, 07:43 PM
(((HUGS))) I have no advice....Will see if I can't look something up for you in the meantime.

thank you :heart :hug

AmyDoll
01-30-2006, 07:43 PM
Rachael - Please post here when you find anything. My younger sister has been struggling with UTIs too and she's been on Antibotics since August :(
Even the one a day pill isn't keeping them away and every couple of months their giving her Cipro and something else horrible.

arwen
01-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Rachael - Please post here when you find anything. My younger sister has been struggling with UTIs too and she's been on Antibotics since August :(
Even the one a day pill isn't keeping them away and every couple of months their giving her Cipro and something else horrible.

:hugheart for her...i don't know why this happens...i know it's so disheartening.

allisonintx
01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Uva Ursi capsules are helpful, as is high dose vitamin C and cranberry capsules. These things make the bladder lining 'slick' so that the bacteria doesn't 'stick' in the bladder.

Also, how much water is 'a lot' in your world?

cobluegirl
01-30-2006, 08:10 PM
omplementary and Alternative Therapies
Nutrition

* Drink a lot of fluids, such as herbal teas and water. Avoid sweetened fruit juices and other sweetened drinks.
* Eliminate refined foods, fruit juices, caffeine, alcohol, and sugar.
* Cranberries and blueberries contain substances that inhibit the binding of bacteria to bladder tissue. Drinking unsweetened cranberry juice regularly seems to help lower the risk of UTIs and can help cure one if you drink it when you first feel symptoms.
* Vitamin C (250 to 500 mg two times per day) makes urine acidic, which inhibits bacterial growth.
* Beta-carotene (25,000 to 50,000 IU per day) is necessary for immune function and mucous membrane integrity.
* Zinc (30 to 50 mg per day) supports immune function

Herbs

Herbs may be used as dried extracts (capsules, powders, teas), glycerites (glycerine extracts), or tinctures (alcohol extracts). Teas should be made with 1 tsp. herb per cup of hot water. Steep covered 5 to 10 minutes for leaf or flowers, and 10 to 20 minutes for roots.

Start herbal therapy at the first sign of symptoms and continue for three days after you start feeling better. Teas work best for treating UTIs because the additional fluid intake helps the "flushing action." Combine two herbs from each of the following categories and drink 4 to 6 cups per day.

* Urinary antiseptics are antimicrobial: uva ursi (Arctostaphylos uva ursi), buchu (Agathosma betulina), thyme leaf (Thymus vulgaris), piewa (Chimaphila umbellata)
* Urinary astringents tone and heal the urinary tract: horsetail (Equisetum arvense), plantain (Plantago major)
* Urinary demulcents soothe the inflamed urinary tract: corn silk (Zea mays), couch grass (Agropyron repens)

Marshmallow root (Althaea officinalis) is best used alone in a cold infusion. Soak 1 heaping tbsp. of marshmallow root in 1 qt. of cold water overnight. Strain and drink during the day in addition to any other urinary tea.

For advanced or recurrent infections prepare a tincture of equal parts of goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis) and coneflower (Echinacea purpurea). Take 30 drops four to six times per day.
Homeopathy

There have been few studies examining the effectiveness of specific homeopathic remedies. Professional homeopaths, however, may recommend one or more of the following treatments for UTI based on their knowledge and clinical experience. Before prescribing a remedy, homeopaths take into account a person's constitutional type. In homeopathic terms, a person's constitution is his or her physical, emotional, and intellectual makeup. An experienced homeopath assesses all of these factors when determining the most appropriate remedy for a particular individual.

* Apis mellifica — for stinging or burning pains that tend to worsen at night and from warmth; individuals for whom this remedy is appropriate feel an intense urge to urinate, yet can only do so in drops
* Aconitum — for early symptoms of UTI, particularly with extremely painful urination that is often described as a hot sensation
* Berberis — for UTIs with burning or shooting pain during urination that may radiate to the pelvis and/or back; when not urinating, an aching sensation is present in the bladder that worsens with movement; pains may also extend to legs and abdomen
* Cantharis — this is the most common and considered the most effective homeopathic remedy for UTI; this remedy is most appropriate for individuals who are restless, experience a burning sensation and decreased urine flow (despite a strong desire to urinate), and have increased sexual desire despite symptoms
* Mercurius — for burning urination and a strong urge to urinate; symptoms worsen at night and tend to be accompanied by chills and sweating; urine is dark and only small amounts pass; burning sensation is often worse when the individual is not urinating
* Nux vomica — for individuals who have a constant urge to urinate; pain is described as needle-like; urge to have a bowel movement may accompany urinary urgency; mild, temporary relief may be experienced from urination and warm baths; symptoms may begin following ingestion of alcohol, coffee, drugs or overeating
* Pulsatilla — for bladder inflammation that begins after an individual develops a sudden chill in hot weather; this remedy is most appropriate for individuals with an urgent desire to urinate who may be emotional, crave attention, and dribble urine after laughing, coughing, sneezing, or being surprised
* Sarsaparilla — for women who experience severe pain at the end of urination and who, occasionally, may feel compelled to stand to urinate
* Staphysagria — for UTIs usually associated with sexual intercourse or following extreme embarrassment or humiliation, particularly from sexual abuse; this remedy is most appropriate for those who have an urgent desire to urinate and have the sensation that a single drop of urine is still present even following urination

Following Up

Preventive measures you can follow:

* Urinate both before and after intercourse.
* Have your health care provider recheck the fit of your diaphragm if you use one.
* Avoid sex while you are being treated for a UTI.

cobluegirl
01-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Homeopathic approach to UTI - The symptoms of urinary tract infection can be stubborn and persistent or recur even after routine treatment. This sort of immune tendency of the bacteria can be aborted easily by Homeopathy. Nowadays, bacteria are suspected to be the main causative factor of infection, but the real ultimate cause is our susceptibility to the bacteria or disease. Homeopathic treatment usually elevates resistance or immunity and diminishes the chance of getting recurrent infection.

When Homeopathy treatment can help very well, what is the need to go for other bitter or painful procedures like heavy antibiotics, IV drips, catheterisation, etc., which can lead to complications later. Homeopathy just ignites the curing process by stimulating the resistance force. Nature takes care of the rest and plays in elimination of bacteria completely from our body and prevents recurrence also. Homoeopathy not only relieves the condition, but also cures the condition, without any persistent usage of drugs or dependency or habit forming or side-effects. Homeopathy can give solutions for a lifetime if we take medicines regularly and follow preventive measures. There are many drugs in Homeopathy which can act like a catheter and bring out the urine freely from the bladder without any surgical intervention.

Homeopathic medicines commonly used in cases of urinary complaints are Acid Nit, Apis mel, Belladonna, Berberis vulgaris, Borax, Cantharis, Clematis, Colocynth, Equisetum, Hydrastis, Lycopodium, Mer cor, Nux vom, Pulsatilla, Rhus tox, Sarsaparilla, Staphysagria, Sulphur, Terebinth, etc. These medicines should be taken under the advice and diagnosis of a qualified Homoeopath.
Here are a few more links that have some info too.

http://www.abchomeopathy.com/c.php/109 (homeopathic)

http://www.nativeremedies.com/uti_clear_for_uti_bladder_infection.shtml

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/uti.htm

http://www.drpressman.com/Library/D-Mannose.htm

http://www.healingtherapies.info/Urinary-Tract%20Health%20-%20Part%202.htm

http://www.vrp.com/art/1036.asp

http://www.healthynewage.com/urinary-tract-infection-cystitis.htm

http://www.chennaionline.com/health/Homoeopathy/2005/05homoeopathy41.asp

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsConditions/UrinaryTractInfectioninWomencc.html

arwen
01-30-2006, 08:53 PM
ty so much cobluegirl....i did see one of those websites you put up there...but didn't read it carefully :O

as to how much water i've been drinking....let me add it up...
ok, today has been 23.5 ounces and i've drank 4 of those plus another 10 ounces of coffee.

i'm going right now to take some vit. C and some cranberry. :pray

boonpnutsmom
01-31-2006, 02:37 PM
Ok, you have a headful of information all of it great... the thing we found when I was getting recurrent bladder infections,.... this may be a little TMI, but are you AND your DH cleaning BEFORE AND AFTER intercourse? I have to empty my bladder before and after, DH needs to WASH even if he just got out of the shower. We found when we do this, the infections disappeared. :hug The vitamin C, Zinc, and Cranberry Pills worked the best when all of the Antibiotics stopped working. I also found an over the counter analgesic that helped, let me go find the name...

CYSTEX , it is an antibacterial and analgesic with NO SUGAR. This is a really great thing, of course on a short term basis. I also have a bladder condition called Interstitial Cystitis, this can be very dibilitating and make it so you can't leave a toilet, the CYSTEX does give relief and QUICKLY. The pain can be so severe I would not wish it on my worst enemy, just an example to tell you how this works.

Of course you need to find the underlying cause of the recurrent infections but these are some things to help get some fast relief for the symptoms that the infections cause. The CYSTEX, cranberry pills, zinc, and the vitamin C are all available without prescriptions at the drug or health food stores.

arwen
01-31-2006, 04:11 PM
tbh, dh and i haven't had an intimate moment in awhile :O
but i used to get that....it's called honeymoon cystitis....sigh.... :giggle

i went to the doc...i have a bit of blood in my pee...they are going to do a culter...please, please, please :pray hard that something is in there...if not i have what i used to have years and years ago which is like bladder spasms that make me have to go pee about every 10 minutes...i don't want this again :nails :(
it's horrible and there is nothing they can do...so please pray for me that by thursday they will call and say something funny is growing and to take this anti and it'll be all better :grin :amen

allisonintx
01-31-2006, 05:35 PM
Will they also check to make sure you don't have a yeast infection in your bladder? I knew a woman who took antibiotics for a long time for her 'bladder infection' that was actually yeast and the antibiotics were making it worse...one dose of diflucan and she was nearly as right as rain.

arwen
01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
Will they also check to make sure you don't have a yeast infection in your bladder? I knew a woman who took antibiotics for a long time for her 'bladder infection' that was actually yeast and the antibiotics were making it worse...one dose of diflucan and she was nearly as right as rain.

i don't know what they'll check for...do you think i should call and see about that tomorrow? :think

allisonintx
02-01-2006, 10:05 AM
I'd ask, at any rate, unless the culture and sensitivities comes back with a specific organism that they 'know' that they can treat.

arwen
02-01-2006, 10:52 AM
well....i'm waiting for the results...should get them tomorrow....if it doesn't show anything than i will ask about that...thanks for the suggestion!