PDA

View Full Version : ***NOT STREP - Update***white spots on my throat...strep????

slingmamaof4
01-29-2006, 10:54 AM
My throat started hurting Friday evening. Last night i looked in the mirror quickly and noticed a white spot. Now I have 4 very small white spots and 2 a little bigger. All on one side and in the same area. That area of my throat is quite sore. I have never had strep before, so I don't know if it is that or not. And I don't want to go the doc unless I need to. Our insurance changed the beginning of the year and it isn't as good as it was. But if it is strep I will likely need antibiotics won't I? I heard that white spots on the throat can mean strep...does anyone know about that for sure? My father is a nurse, but he is at church right now. But I am going to call him when church is over.

BeckaBlue
01-29-2006, 11:04 AM
it *can* mean strep, but does nt always. only way to be sure is a strep test

cklewis
01-29-2006, 11:06 AM
What Becka said. . . . Strep is a very characteristic sore throat -- HORRIBLE. I mean, the worst ever. And I've never had spots with it, although I have had viruses with spots!

Do you have a fever? Did it come on REALLY quick? Do you have any other symptoms or is it mostly a sore throat?

C

slingmamaof4
01-29-2006, 11:54 AM
What Becka said. . . . Strep is a very characteristic sore throat -- HORRIBLE. I mean, the worst ever. And I've never had spots with it, although I have had viruses with spots!

Do you have a fever? Did it come on REALLY quick? Do you have any other symptoms or is it mostly a sore throat?

C

Yes it did show up really fast. The sore throat I mean. I don't know for sure when the white spots started. My throat was fine all of Friday. Noah and I were watching a movie on the couch and all of a sudden my throat started hurting. :shrug That night my throat hurt enough that I had a hard time sleeping. But it is still all in one area. Only hurts one one side The gland on my neck right at the top by the jawline feels like it is swollen on that side. My throat does hurt (in that one spot quite badly), but not unbearable. BUT if my whole throat hurt the way the one area does then it would be pretty close to unbearable. It is hard to swallow already...this better not spread.

Maybe it is just a virus. So how do I know if I should go to the doctor? If it gets REALLY bad? If it doesn't go away within a few more days?

No other symptoms really. I do have soem post-nasal drip, but I have no idea with that is related to this at all. I have allergies and post nasal drip is pretty much a constant for me. And I don't think I have a fever.

Aerynne
01-29-2006, 12:27 PM
I'd give it a few days. I had that once, assumed it was strep, went right in to dr, the test was negative.

cklewis
01-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah, I was going to say. If it's strep, you'll feel REALLY LOUSY tomorrow. I mean, it gets worse FAST!! But without a fever, I'm doubtful.

So that's GOOD news. . . .

:hug and here -- :cup

C

Cindy
01-29-2006, 02:21 PM
I had strep once - think I caught it after looking at the white bumps in a friend's throat with a flashlight :rolleyes I didn't have a sore throat, just awful stomach cramps. :shrug We both went on antibiotics, but I don't know if it is the kind of thing that gets better on its own.

LauraK
01-29-2006, 03:00 PM
If you are not better in a day or so go to the doctor. I ignored strep once and got Scarlotte Fever!! It SUCKED!!!

Sounds like strep to me and the time I did get scarlotte fever my sore throat was not so so horrible so I would probably go. Strep definitely needs to be treated. In the pre-antiobiotic days it could cause blindness and death. Not to scare you as I think it would really have to take awhile for that to happen but I would rather "waste money" and go to the doctor when there was nothing wrong than gamble too much with my health. So if you aren't better tomorrow and things are getting worse go get it checked.

mommy2abigail
01-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, you'd KNOW if it was strep-it'll knock you out and it comes on in a matter of a few hours. I had strep a few months ago, felt fine at 8 when I woke up, and felt like death at 12 when I had lunch! I knew right away what it was, even though I'd never had it. I know that it *can* get better w/o antibiotics, butI was too much of a baby!

cklewis
01-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah, you'd KNOW if it was strep-it'll knock you out and it comes on in a matter of a few hours. I had strep a few months ago, felt fine at 8 when I woke up, and felt like death at 12 when I had lunch! I knew right away what it was, even though I'd never had it.

That's been my experience too. :shrug You feel LOUSY. Like flu x 2. Like get-me-to-the-doc-now-before-I-pass-out-I-don't-care-what-he-gives-me-as-long-as-it-helps kind of sick.

C

slingmamaof4
01-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Hmmm...I will post how I am feeling tomorrow. I am hoping it is just a viral thing and that it will be improving in the morning!!!!!

LauraK
01-29-2006, 05:18 PM
:pray

purplerose
01-29-2006, 05:19 PM
:hug

I hope you feel better soon!!! :grin

slingmamaof4
01-31-2006, 12:43 PM
Ugh! Well, I felt okay yesterday. The spots (like white pus) spread yesterday, but no fever. This morning went fine, but my noon I was exhausted. So while the kids napped I started cleaning, but after an hour laid down. I just took my temp and it is still very low, but I do have a fever now. Only 99.2. And my ears kind of hurt off and on...I just kind of feel BLAH...YUCK...now. And there are now several spots on the original side (left) and 5-6 that I can see in my bathroom mirror without a flashlight now on my right side as well. There were a couple there yesterday. And I think if I had a flashlight I would be able to see more on both sides. Even though my left side has more spots, the right hurts more now when not swallowing. Both hurt when swallowing. But since this has been a couple of days and not a really sudden..BOOM...spots, achey all over, sore throat, fever, fatigue thing (all though I have all those now) I think it is likely to just be a virus. But I don't want it to be strep and let it go untreated. So I am thinking to give it a little more time. And if it continues to get much worse or my fever goes up then I may need to go see a doc. I am hoping that won't happen.

hbmamma
01-31-2006, 01:18 PM
I know for me, I KNOW when I have strep, even before it gets bad. It usually starts as a small tingle in the back of my throat, becoming slightly sore, then it really becomes painful! I usually think it will go away, but it has never gone away on it's own and I've usually had to go on serious antibiotics. (My throat has swelled up so bad I can't swallow). I've never had a fever with any strep.

(I just had strep back in October, on the road trip back from TN - 19 hours in the truck with strep and two kids who got it too!) :(

LauraK
01-31-2006, 02:01 PM
If I were you I would go in.

slingmamaof4
02-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Well, starting yesterday it has been getting better!!!! So it mustn't have been strep. :woohoo I am glad I didn't have to go in or go on antibiotics. I had decided if it wasn't improving by yesterday I was going in, so it started getting better right now. The spots are almost gone today! Only 3 left and they are much smaller than they had been. YAY!!!!!

cklewis
02-02-2006, 09:07 AM
:phew

:cup

C

LauraK
02-02-2006, 10:13 AM
so glad you are feeling better!!

Cheyenne
02-02-2006, 10:17 AM
I am glad it isn't strep and you are starting to feel better. :hug

Wonder Woman