PDA

View Full Version : Memory Loss ---NEED INFO

cobluegirl
01-28-2006, 11:08 PM
My Grandma is approaching her 70's. In the past year she has started to really lose her memory. It really bothers her and she just chalks it up to getting old. I am not convinced. I seem to recall aspartame a key in memory loss and I think they drink a lot of diet soda. What else can cause memory loss and what can she do to help it from slipping further.

lumpofclay
01-28-2006, 11:21 PM
I know I've read (but don't have a link) that keeping your mind active (completing word searches and such) really helps your memory.

I hope you get some other helpful replies! I'll be :popcorn!

cobluegirl
01-30-2006, 07:34 PM
bump

lumpofclay
01-30-2006, 07:36 PM
:( I clicked on this thinking you had some good info. . . <bump again>. . . anyone? anyone? Bueller?

cobluegirl
01-30-2006, 08:42 PM
found a few articles on mercola.com...but not much really..grrr...

QuiltinGramma
01-30-2006, 09:42 PM
I did a google search - under 'memory loss' and came up with quite a few hits. Here are 3 of the sites I visited: familydoctor.org intelihealth.com and americangeriatrics.org/education/forum/memoloss.shtml

There were alot of other sites there also. Hope this is any help to you. :)

believer
01-30-2006, 10:00 PM
:shrug I am sorry, if I ever heard anything about memory loss I must have forgotton it. :shifty
Can you ask her doctor about it?
:hug May the Lord care for her and may He guide you in helping her. :pray

Irene
01-30-2006, 10:29 PM
more B vitamins? I know my naturapath gave me b injections to kick it up a notch so I could start absorbing my b's that I was already taking. he said it would help it to a certain extent, what I always blame "mommy brain" :shrug

righteous mama
01-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Has she had her iron checked? My grandma just found out that she was severely anemic. It was scary. We had been preparing ourselves for the end because she looked so bad. After about two weeks on Floradix (I think) she looks wonderful. She said she feels sharper and her back doesn't hurt as much. She's almost 85.

DogwoodMama
01-31-2006, 11:52 AM
Is she on any meds? :think Some combinations of meds can impair memory. How is her health otherwise?

cobluegirl
01-31-2006, 06:33 PM
well papa said she doesn't drink soda...so there goes that theory...she eats low fat, low cholesterol foods because of the health history in her family. I wonder if she is too low on her fats? Will pass long the other info too.

Thanks. keep it comin...

Irene
01-31-2006, 09:49 PM
thats a good thought too, maybe too low on those good efa's :shrug

cobluegirl
01-31-2006, 10:02 PM
She drinks no sodas at all. Eats mostly vegetables fruit and fish. She typically goes for a low cholesterol and lowfat diet because of family history in that area. Papa

wonder if it is mercury poisening....the last website given above was interesting...the first two weird..lol :) not sure i wanted to share them with papa...