PDA

View Full Version : Hives?

mommy2abigail
01-28-2006, 06:10 AM
I think the new CD gave Abby hives! Maybe the detergent? They don't seem to bother her, but she's back in 'sposies for now...any thoughts? Oh and what can be done for them? (other than benedryl) I don't want to put anything on there that might irritate it more...

Iansmama
01-28-2006, 07:53 AM
This may seem like a silly and obvious question.....are the hives only on her bottom?

I don't know of anything besides an antihistamine to give for hives. My first thought was detergent or a cleaning agent. I would strip them.

Poor baby! Hope she is better soon! :hug

mommy2abigail
01-28-2006, 10:48 AM
Not a silly question, they are mostly on her bottom and thighs, on her belly (where the dipe may have been) and three tiny ones on her face. The ones on her butt and thighs are BIG! :( But shes not bothered by them. I st bought the dipes, and washed them 2 times, with a double rinse. This was the first time she wore them...would t hey need to be stripped already???? I bought some detergent at the health food store, without fabric softener, but I am not sure it's ok for CD! :shrug She really doesn't have sensitive skin, I've mostly been using Dreft with her clothes, but I have used other stuff on her clothes occasionally, and she's never had a reaction. She hasn't eaten anything different, or been bathed in anything different...

Iansmama
01-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok, didn't want to leave you hanging....sorry it took so long to get back. Does she have any known allergies that may have shown up in the detergent? Ian was sensitive to soy and corn, and unfortunately the natural detergents are more likely to use a grain in them. The soy in the detergent that I bought one time gave him a rash. :( I use All Free and Clear on my dipes. If she is not particularly sensitive to anything or has any allergies I would not think it was the detergent brand.

I also was wondering....were the dipes brand new or previously used? Bleached or unbleached? They may require another 2 or 3 washes to remove any residuals from previous owners or bleach treatment. What was your washing routine? I found this site helpful:

http://www.punkinbutt.com/easy_wash.asp

How is she now?

cobluegirl
01-28-2006, 10:14 PM
yeah I would try washing the diapers again with some vinegar and perhaps some grapefruit seed extract if you have it.