PDA

View Full Version : Another organic question....

BearyBlessed
01-24-2006, 05:22 PM
I've seen the discussions on which thing you should try to buy organic if you can. I have kind of the opposite question. I am currently buying almost totally organic. But, I need to cut down our grocery bill just a little.
So, if you needed to cut out just a few organic things and substitute conventional, what would those things be?

Also, does anyone have any tips I might not have thought about for buying organic inexpensively? Those of you that buy mostly/all organic do you have any good tips?

Lady TS
01-24-2006, 05:33 PM
I don't/can't buy all organic, but I know that carrots don't really matter as far as whether they are organic or not...

As far as getting inexpensive organic food....grow a garden! Even a pot garden is better than nothing!

cobluegirl
01-27-2006, 03:54 PM
why wouldn't carrots matter?

Banana's don't usually matter as far as topically...but what about the ground things are grown in??

Desert Rose
01-27-2006, 04:03 PM
I just found this article..it's called "Organic food: When it isn't worth it
Consumer Reports lists most chemically-laden items and those you can skimp on; plus, how to save."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/09/pf/organic_food/

HTH!

mommy2abigail
01-27-2006, 06:38 PM
:popcorn I have found that if we eat mostly grains, fruits and veggies, and dairy/eggs our grocery bill is really not very high. Especially compared to if we eat lots of meat or poultry. We used to eat meat or chicken with every dinner meal, but now I am trying to only serve meats two times aweek. If I serve them three times, I'll do chilli or something else in the crockpot, and use 1/2 the meat I used to use. Cold cuts are very expensive, it is cheaper to make double portions of dinner to have leftovers for lunch the next day than to make sandwiches. Convenience food is pricey too. Try to make your snacks -like crackers, cookies, and granola bars. Bread, pizza dough, and homemade waffles and pancakes are a fraction of the price of store bought. I also found that lots of stores are carrying organic products, and alot of the time the mainstream stores have better prices than the health food stores. Cut out soda, juice, tea, and other drinks, and go with only water. This is hard (we still can't do it!) but it is healthier and cheaper. Good luck!