PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else here gluten-free?? I really need some help!

peacefulveganmom
01-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Anyone else here doing veggie and gluten-free?? :scratch
We've just recently started eating gluten-free due to DD's allergies. We're not only vegan, but have just recently went soy and corn free as well. After the last couple of days, it looks like we may have to cut out beans, too :hissyfit...... so needless to say, it's been super, super TOUGH. :td
I could really use some good recipes! Can anyone HELP, please?? :banghead

TIA ;)

flowermama
01-20-2006, 02:57 AM
Anyone else here doing veggie and gluten-free?? :scratch
We've just recently started eating gluten-free due to DD's allergies. We're not only vegan, but have just recently went soy and corn free as well. After the last couple of days, it looks like we may have to cut out beans, too :hissyfit...... so needless to say, it's been super, super TOUGH. :td
I could really use some good recipes! Can anyone HELP, please?? :banghead

:jawdrop Wow, that would be really hard! :hug2

Well, I feel like my diet pretty boring lately (I'm stuck in a rut at the moment :O), but we eat lots of potatoes, rice, and rice noodles. Sweet potatoes are good. You could eat quinoa and millet, avocados, fruit, squash...

You probably know all that already. :giggle I don't really have any recipes to share because we eat quite a lot of corn and soy, and also, my younger kids tend to not like things all mixed together... like ds will eat raw green pepper sliced, but won't eat it green pepper if it is in something and cooked.

Anyway, though, mentioning that brought a suggestion to my memory. lol ... stuffed green peppers! Those are easy to make. :yum Also, for noodles you can make a sauce out of cashew nuts -- put them in the blender until they are powder, and then add liquid and seasonings. How about pizza crust made with rice flour? Do you have a good recipe for that? I had one, and I can look it up if you need one.

Sorry I'm not more help. :O :heart

ArmsOfLove
01-20-2006, 09:04 AM
we are :)

are you sure about the beans and soy and all--I ask because after going gf for a month you may find that's not the case :)

peacefulveganmom
01-20-2006, 09:53 AM
:rolleyes2 Nope, not at all sure! :giggle
We are in the process of trying to eliminate everything that we think is a culprit. Is that a bad idea?? We've been wheat, soy, and corn free for 2 weeks, and totally gluten free for a little over 1 week. Three days ago we cooked a mix of dried beans, only in water and salt, served over white rice and both DD's reacted violently to it. Explosive bm's, BAD diaper rash, behavior issues (Oh the behavior issues!! :hissyfit) and eczema flare-ups. SO.......my guess is the beans. Legume allergy?? :shrug But not sure. Should we try gluten-free alone for a month and add everything else back in temporarily? Or continue on with an allergen free diet and slowly add them back in one at a time after the 30 days are up?? We're having a hard time and are soooo confused!! I'm mainly worried about my 5 month old, who is having TMI bloody, mucousy bm's EVERY time she nurses. That's a heck of alot of poop, and I can't imagine that she's absorbing any/many nutrients. :cry And seems like she keeps a diaper rash. Poor thing!
Sorry, got long winded there :O........Any advice??

ETA: Both kids seemed to be doing a bit better on our "new" diet and was showing some improvement--until we ate the beans. :think We had been doing mainly rice, fruits and veggies until that point. ;)

jarofclay
01-20-2006, 02:23 PM
First of all, I have to give you a big :hugheart I was there a couple of years ago and it is so hard. We had both bloody stools and Sensory Integration Disfunction, the diarrhea, rashes, rages, sleepless nights, etc. We are now gluten, casein, egg, soy, corn, potato, yeast, citrus, sugar, nitrate and some other things free. It has been hard but it has changed our lives :tu Now that we have been doing it for a while it doesn't seem hard at all. If you would like to talk on the phone about any of this please feel free to PM me and I will send you my phone #.

Here is what we do:

Breakfast is either quinoa or rice with some salt and stevia or waffles made with brown rice flour, ground flax, salt, baking soda and cream of tarter (baking powder has corn or potato starch in it), oil and water. We put nut butter on our waffles.

Snack is cut up fruit and nuts or a shake with nuts and fruits in the blender

Lunch is our big meal of the day. Most of my dishes have beans in them but I also cook with lentils so could try to figure out those recipes if you want. Basically I make soups with lentils, rice and lots of veggies or lentil burgers with sweet rice and lentils and veggies.

Snack is typically avocado and veggies or hummus and veggies

Dinner is a huge salad with lots of veggies and olive oil and nuts.

Tonight we are making "ice cream" with macadamia nuts and frozen fruit in my green star juicer. (You can also do it in a blender)

Have you read Doris Rapp's book Is This Your Child? It may answer some of the questions you have about figuring out what foods are causing the problems.

ShangriLewis
01-25-2006, 07:57 AM
I'm curious if you have tried sprouting your beans and using a beano supplement. I know that doesn't fix the behavior issues though.

Soak beans overnight and either keep them in the jar and rinse them a few times a day or put them on a paper lined cooking sheet till they sprout. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't mold.

ShangriLewis
02-02-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm wondering how you are doing :hug I've been looking into going gluten-free for my husband's ADD and my sons possible ADD or Aspergers.

peacefulveganmom
03-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Wow! Thanks for the replies, you guys! I forgot to update this thread. :blush We are doing soooo much better now after having been gluten free for over 2 months. The behavior issues have virtually vanished. :clap We were able to add corn and beans back into our diets with no problems. We tried soy again, too, but after a few days or so my youngest started showing signs again. :( :shrug
I appreciate all of your responses and wise advice. :heart