PDA

View Full Version : Help for tofu in spaghetti sauce!

Abinsmom
01-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Although we're not vegetarians, my children don't like meat much and neither do I. DH is gone for dinner once a week (tonight) and I'm feeling lazy, so it will be spaghetti noodles and sauce for us tonight.

I have a box of silken tofu in the fridge -- can I somehow incorporate that into the spag sauce to boost the protein for my kids? If they see chunks, they'll freak out, but can I just puree it in the blender and add it into the sauce and expect it to look the same as without?

Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated!

ArmsOfLove
01-18-2006, 04:44 PM
If they see chunks, they'll freak out, but can I just puree it in the blender and add it into the sauce and expect it to look the same as without?
It will make it paler and creamier. It's good that way :)

Singingmom
01-18-2006, 11:12 PM
That's a good idea! Heat it well first. I don't think raw tofu is supposed to be good for you.

boonpnutsmom
01-18-2006, 11:54 PM
We eat raw tofu all the time. You can also fry it up like ground beef and just throw it in the sauce.

flowermama
01-19-2006, 12:27 AM
great ideas! :tu We eat it raw a lot, too. :think

Singingmom
01-19-2006, 01:34 PM
I got mixed results when I googled raw tofu. Basically, "raw" tofu is really already cooked because of the heating process involved in making it from soybeans. It does contain bacteria, though, which may or may not bother you. Nasoya's site says theirs is pasteurized and safe to eat raw. Maybe not all are pasteurized?

I'd be glad if it were fine, because I like using it in smoothies. I stopped when I read something several years ago about not eating it raw.

Abinsmom
01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Gosh, I've often eaten raw (MOSTLY eaten it raw!), and this is the first I've heard that it could be dangerous!

By the way, our pasta sauce turned out great last night -- thanks everyone! We pureed the tofu in the blender and added it to a can of crushed tomatoes and voila -- it was scrumptious! Even my very picky 6-year old ate it (although he was mad I served it over penne instead of spaghetti noodles!).

flowermama
01-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Thank you for bringing this up, singingmom! Here's one article about eating tofu raw...
http://www.vegsource.com/jo/qa/qarawtofu.htm

Here's an excerpt:

To destroy this bacteria, tofu that is to be eaten "raw" should be rinsed and boiled in fresh water or steamed for 5-10 minutes before using.

I'll probably look into this more, but I believe that's a reliable source, and I'll be cooking water-packed tofu from now on first, before eating it! It says only the water-packed type needs to be cooked....

Tofu that is not water-packed but is already cooked and vacuum sealed or asepetically packaged does not need to be boiled or steamed before using, nor does tofu that will be cooked in a recipe. This step is only necessary for tofu that is water-packed and will not be cooked.

I'm glad it turned out and they liked it, Karen! :tu

Singingmom
01-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info, flowermama! :)

I could steam it and cool it before I make smoothies...