PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, but I like "real food."

Desert Rose
01-17-2006, 09:50 AM
People can be so rude and ignorant!

I was out for dinner for my birthday last night with some relatives. I was remarking on how extensive and wonderful the vegetarian menu is at PF Chang's. It is very yummy! Anyway, I mentioned tofu and everyone made a face like this :crazy2 . I started talking about how I don't eat it too much, but that making it yummy all depends on the preparation of it. My FIL's mom blurted out "I am sorry but I only eat real food." She is a little bit of a snob...but mostly nice otherwise. I was completely irked by this. Anyway,. the funny part is that while they were all eating their veggie stir fry, I noticed it had tofu in it. My MIL said, "Junior (my ds) really likes this cheese." I took a bite to be sure, and yep, it was tofu and everyone was eating it. :laughtears

SouthPaw
01-17-2006, 09:57 AM
:giggle :yum

milkmommy
01-17-2006, 10:00 AM
:giggle Yea when I confessed to DH the beef and cheese enchaladia dish I'd made the other day was made with tofu he was like :crazy2 why did you tell me. Gee he didn't seem to mind when he ate six of those babies during the meal :lol
Deanna

Wonder Woman
01-17-2006, 10:12 AM
:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

ShangriLewis
01-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Happy Birthday!

We don't have a PF Changs, but I've read the menu because Crystal posted it once. (They have a gluten-free menu!)

The thin and gorgous Asian culture have considered it realy food for a long time. My mom doesn't like it, but she doesn't think it's cheese. Who puts cheese in Chinese food? I'm worried about her mental state :laughtears

Desert Rose
01-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Who puts cheese in Chinese food? I'm worried about her mental state

:laughtears

cheri
01-17-2006, 10:45 AM
my il's are like this. my SIL said "eewww" when she went with us to Wild Oats to get some organic produce. (I think she said something about organic produce having worms in it) They think I'm a weirdo because of many of my food choices. But then when they try it without knowing what it is, they think it tastes good.

People are funny. They get stuck in their ways and aren't open to trying unfamiliar things.

arwen_tiw
01-17-2006, 11:13 AM
:laughtears :laughtears :laughtears

boonpnutsmom
01-17-2006, 12:10 PM
I was on the phone yesterday while I was feeding the kids lunch, they were eating tofu and these tofutti sausage link things. I asked if anyone wanted more tofu before I put it away, and the lady that I was talking about blurted out that I was poisoning my kids. I thought that was very rude and asked to speak to her supervisor.

fancifulfrog
01-17-2006, 12:15 PM
From what I ahve notice tofu tends to take on the flavor of the dish it's in so it would be really hard to "notice" it.

RosieTook
01-17-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm not into tofu, but really... :rolleyes

These days people seem to think that real food comes in a box with a list of ingredients that includes *sugar* in it.

As for the organic produce....do they think that organic means *picked up from the ground??* :giggle

Desert Rose
01-17-2006, 02:24 PM
I asked if anyone wanted more tofu before I put it away, and the lady that I was talking about blurted out that I was poisoning my kids. I thought that was very rude and asked to speak to her supervisor.

:hunh What a dense lady. :no2 What happened with the supervisor?

boonpnutsmom
01-17-2006, 03:18 PM
I was given some stoopit line... I will speak to her....

Calm_Chaos
01-19-2006, 04:55 AM
When I told my husband's older sister that I became a vegetarian she said I was weird. Well, the "weird" may have been in reference to my comment on my never liking potato chips. (We didn't have them often when I was a kid; At my in-laws' one can find several kinds of chips at any given time.) My in-laws seem to live on processed fatty "food". On Christmas, my MIL commented that I was "wasting away". I replied with, "I eat. You see me." What I did not say were my thoughts, "I just choose to not eat fat and junk," or something to that effect. The almost-vegan whole foods (mostly) diet doesn't leave much room for processed fat. Heck, I think I eat popcorn with fake margarine on it just to get some fat. My younger SIL, I think, would be more interested in my choices if I could talk with her more alone. She complains of being fat. And she's not thin. Last month she came for an overnight visit and said that she weighed 160. I asked how tall she is, and she said 5'6". I thought, "Gee, I have you beat by at least five pounds and six inches." (I'm six feet tall and weigh in the low 150s.) That evening alone, she had a peanut butter (the stuff with the corn syrup; I offered her my natural stuff, but she chose the other) with margarine, at least five pieces of pizza, a salad with fatty dressing and plenty of cheese, brownies, and a large bowl of ice cream. For breakfast, she had a couple of Krispy Kreme donuts. Ugh.

I don't think my older SIL's nephews would like the way I eat, eihter. They live in a world where junk food is probably more readily available than fruits and veggies. Ick. I can't imagine raising my kids like that.

My family more acceptive, after they got used to the idea. The only thing my sister and her husband have said were some jokes made when we recently went out for pizza and the waitress or the cooks couldn't get the no cheese with veggies on one half right.

I don't care. I'm happy. I'm healthy. Yeah, I probably do need to gain weight and since I'm preparing body for baby, I'm even more conscious of what I eat.

I like my true real food. :grin

Laura

liamum
01-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Ohhh too funny. I would have immediately pointed out they were eating tofu!

Calm_Chaos
01-20-2006, 10:21 AM
:mrgreen :dance

I would have waited until they happily ate the meal, then told them what was in it. There's a brownie recipe in the February "Vegetarian Times". It calls for soft tofu. There is a chocolate cream pie in there that calls for tofu and dairy, but also says that the soy/tofu versions can be used, too. I thought about makng one of those and taking them to my in-laws. Cruel? Maybe.

My husband told me on Wednesday that I needed to have some real food. I told him I did, an apple and an orange. He was actually concerned that that was all that I had eaten that afternoon, except for cake batter. He commented today that he didn't think I was eating enough, referencing to Wednesday. Eh. He also said that my hip bones and ribs sticking out was gross. I'll give him that. I'm going to try and healthfully gain weight since we're going to start trying for a baby at the end of February when my insurance kicks in. Eh.

I'm digressing again. I'm good at that.

Laura

julbug
01-20-2006, 12:07 PM
My BIL thinks tofu is gross, made from a perfectly natural soybean, a plant that grows out of the ground. But "food" made of dead animal parts is not. :shrug Go figure.

ETA: That ranks right up there with people who think breastfeeding is gross or unnatural but will happily drink milk that's pumped out of a cow by machines. :rolleyes

gamomof2
01-24-2006, 09:11 PM
My BIL thinks tofu is gross, made from a perfectly natural soybean, a plant that grows out of the ground. But "food" made of dead animal parts is not

HA! That is so true!! :rolleyes2

:giggle about the tofu in the stir fry!!