PDA

View Full Version : substitution for Ovaltine

herbalwriter
01-14-2006, 07:25 PM
My mom recently got some Ovaltine and I love the flavor of it (I remember drinking it when I was a teenager at a friend's house). But being the old fogey that I am now, I read the ingredients before drinking any. And it has all kinds of great vitamins and such, as well as at least 3 different artificial colors. :td I thought it had kind of an unnatural bluish cast. :sick Is there any sort of vitamin-enriched chocolate drink out there without that icky coloring in it??

kiloyd
01-15-2006, 03:18 PM
I too read the ingredients of Ovaltine and was amazed that they add colors. I use Nestle's Quick chocolate powder.

herbalwriter
01-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Unfortunately, I don't buy Nestle's brand stuff...and I was hoping for something with vitamins in it like Ovaltine. :think It does blow your mind, though, that they would color chocolate powder with blue and red! :sick

believer
01-15-2006, 07:08 PM
You could use chocolate whey protein powder. It does not taste quite as good, but is healthy if you tolerate milk well.

herbalwriter
01-15-2006, 07:13 PM
I've never heard of chocolate whey powder. I don't tolerate milk, though. Maybe something I could mix into rice milk...maybe some soy protein powder would work. :shrug

kiloyd
01-15-2006, 08:46 PM
May I ask why you don't buy from Nestle? Is there something I should know?

herbalwriter
01-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Oh, I should have clarified! sorry. Nestle markets formula to third world countries (in a nutshell), and that's a practice I don't agree with.
http://www.babymilkaction.org/

Iarwain
01-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Ah!laska makes a natural chocolate syrup. I haven't tried it myself but several people in my food co-op buy it and like it. I don't know that it is enriched, though. I'm not a big fan of enriched products anyway.

herbalwriter
01-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Yes, I can understand that...you don't absorb the vitamins as well if they are not in their natural state. Sticking them in something like Ovaltine is kind of goofy when you think about it.

believer
01-16-2006, 04:45 PM
They make chocolate rice milk, I think, and chocolate almond milk is good and there is chocolate soy milk as well as chocolate soy protein powder.

herbalwriter
01-16-2006, 06:27 PM
We drink rice milk around here...I haven't seen it in chocolate, but I can always put Hershey's syrup in it. I just like the taste/vitamins in Ovaltine and was hoping there was something really similar. A friend of mine once said that chocolate Silk tastes like Ovaltine! :mrgreen

This Busy Mom
01-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Chocolate almond milk just sounds.... mmmmmm good, lol.

herbalwriter
01-16-2006, 07:18 PM
My dad loves choc. almond milk...I got him some for Christmas for his coffee.

I know there are lots of choc. drinks out there and ways to make your own...but they just aren't the same. Oh well.

This Busy Mom
01-16-2006, 07:20 PM
I know there are lots of choc. drinks out there and ways to make your own...but they just aren't the same. Oh well.

I know what you mean. Chocolate malt drinks are similar to ovaltine. I used to get chocolate malt milkshakes after church when my Grandma would take me out to eat... yummy.

herbalwriter
01-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Ooo, that's an idea. Thanks!

herbalwriter
03-08-2006, 07:30 PM
They make chocolate rice milk, I think, and chocolate almond milk is good and there is chocolate soy milk as well as chocolate soy protein powder.

I just wanted to say, Believer, that you are absolutely right - they do make chocolate rice milk and I found some, enriched, and it tastes like Ovaltine! Just thought I'd pass that on...

believer
03-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I am glad you found it and are enjoying it. :hug