PDA

View Full Version : going veggie when not against meat

milkmommy
01-13-2006, 12:29 PM
okay really I probably dont mean to go all veggie but I would like to at least seriously cut back. I've noticed I feel healthier if I avoid it and I make better choices, however I have nothing against meat. My plan is to go a month meat free soo i can try diffrent things see how my body does kinda a meat de tox :giggle
Well the problem 1) DH still has meat so I deal with it daily and today I just don't feel like making the effort. We have some salusberry steaks in the freezer one on the ONLY meats DD will at and truthfull one of my favorites I'm soo tempted to make it for dinner I could and just allow DH extras :shrug I need to plan better next month problem is I really didn't decide on this till after I bought a bunch of food assummig meat as a main dish meals so my choices are limited. Ugg I didn't think it woul;d be this difficult.

Deanna

flowermama
01-13-2006, 12:52 PM
I wasn't against meat when I decided to quit eating it for a month back in November of :scratch 2001. Then I just kept not eating it. :-)

I began researching and found out more about how animals for consumption are treated so horribly (especially at factory farms). :cry Now I don't eat meat for health reasons and ethical reasons (and more reasons than that, too lol). I'm pretty anti-meat, if I do say so myself. :shifty

Okay, anyway, when I first became veggie, I still cooked meat for my dh and my children. At time went by, my children became veggie, and my dh became very veggie-friendly. He eats mostly veggie at home and doesn't expect me to cook him meat anymore. :tu

I'm trying to remember what I did when I still cooked meat for him. :think The only thing I remember is making spaghetti sauce for him with meat in it, and saving some separately that didn't have meat in it and putting garbonzo beans in it for me. :giggle

I need to plan better next month problem is I really didn't decide on this till after I bought a bunch of food assummig meat as a main dish meals so my choices are limited.

That would make things more difficult. :think Do you have any beans? Garbonzo beans are awesome and you can make great patties with them (at least I love them lol) and you can make chickpea nuts (which I think are so yummy). Do you eat tofu? You can make sooo many things with tofu that you wouldn't even be able to tell were made of tofu. Actually, though, if you still eat cheese and eggs (do you eat dairy?) you'll have tons of options (at least it feels like that to me since I don't eat dairy or eggs :O).

Maybe if you want you could post some of the things you have bought that are veggie, and we can help you come up with some ideas for meals? :shrug :think

I think it's great you are wanting to more towards eating a more plant-based diet. :tu :highfive

milkmommy
01-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the response I have two cans of chick peas I aturally tried to bump up a post I asked yesterday on making a mock tuna using these :mrgreen I'd love an recipies you have. I'm going to try toufu next month, I can't really afford any right now. (yea bad planning) yes I'm still doing dairy and eggs and have no plans to stopping these.
Okay I have some verious beans chick peas three bean soup mix and some pinto beans (I think)
Rice (white brown)
Pasta
tablou (wheat salas)
canned fruit peaches pears pinapple manderian oranges
frozen veggies
mixed
broccoli
green beans
sugar snap peas
corn
peas
spaghetti sauce (garden and marana)
fresh fruits apples oranges bannanas
Tomatos onions
olives pickles
bread
cheese
outta eggs but can get
alomond and rice milk
ummm Birthday cake :shifty

Deanna

LadybugSam
01-13-2006, 01:10 PM
I say eat a bunch of birthday cake :D

ok no, i'm no help, i just wanted to say that i want to try the same thing. Except i was starting small. I'm gonna be eating vegie during the week and probably meat on the weekends. Vegie meals are hard for me because i grew up in a very meat centered family. It just doesn't feel right to eat a meal without meat. LOL, but i dont' want my son to grow up thinking the same way, its just not healthy.

MarynMunchkins
01-13-2006, 01:14 PM
We do veggie 2x's a week and vegan once. :) It makes me feel better in general and cuts back on my grocery bill. :)

You can always do stir fry and just add the meat separately. Or pick the meat out of yours. ;) I make a taco salad type thing with rice, black beans, and salsa. It's yummy. :yum

Mothering by Heart
01-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Just one idea:
We buy the Amy's soy taco when we have tacos. It is a little $$, but we mix it with a can of vegetarian refried beans and it really makes it go far.

milkmommy
01-13-2006, 01:19 PM
The last sounds yummy ans I'm going to be a lot more careful on my next trip its finding meals with what I have now, I know I have enought to do things with just not sure of what.

Deanna