PDA

View Full Version : Need help cutting back on sugar

lumpofclay
01-12-2006, 07:39 AM
:blush Hello, my name is Jessica, and I :heart white sugar! :hissyfit

I'm not ready to cut it out entirely. I'm just not ready. I grew up in the South (and still live in the South), and I :heart :heart :heart my sweet tea.

I have, however, decided to cut back. I'm only going to have two glasses of (sweet) tea a day. I will drink water :highfive the rest of the time. Well, I plan on having juice every once in a while and coffee.

There's my problem. . . I really like the sweetness some sugar adds to my coffee. :blush I use soy milk & sugar in it. Any suggestions? I've tried just the soy milk, and it's not sweet enough for me. :blush

I'm the girl who (seriously) used to (as a child) eat chocolate syrup by itself. Yes, I know. . . I'm probably addicted. I'm ignoring that right now. I just want to cut back! ;)

herbalwriter
01-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Oh boy, do I hear ya sister! I posted not long ago about this. I felt SO addicted to sugar, esp. during the holidays. I am still struggling.

I love sweet tea, too, and I found a solution for that at least (I still fantasize about eating boxes of cherry cordials...brother. Luckily, I am online now and not making fudge like I had planned to do this evening). Anyway, I used Sweet Leaf brand stevia in my tea. It's stevia plus, the plus meaning it has some prebiotic (not probiotic) supplements added to it. And it is REALLY good in iced tea! I drink about a quart of iced tea a day. :O

mamatogands
01-13-2006, 09:33 PM
I'm a fellow addict. I could live off coca-cola. :popcorn

Ali
01-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Me too! It is really tough for me, though. I can drink my tea without sugar, so I'm no help there, but I guess I would try some different sugar subsitutes and see if I found one I liked, or just slowly reduce the amount of sugar I put in my tea.
I am also a milk-and-sugar-in-my-coffee gal. The solution I found was to buy a good flavored coffee. Millstone has a delicious "chocolate velvet". It smells and tastes so good, I am happy with just milk in it. The chocolate aroma is very strong - yummy!
If you can cut fruit juice out all together, that is a really good thing to do. It's much more beneficial to drink a glass of water and eat a piece of fresh fruit.
I hope those thoughts help a little. Just doing one or two things to reduce your sugar will make a big difference! :)