PDA

View Full Version : Tuning up the sewing machine - how often and how much $$$??

tempus vernum
01-10-2006, 09:49 PM
My sewing maching has needed repair for quite awhile. I finally got with it and took it in - it is going to cost $85. It is an ancient workhorse worth repairing but sheesh. I do admit I should have had it tuned up when it was given to me and I didn't.

THis experience has made me wonder 2 things.

1. How often do I need to tune up my machine?
2. How much is a typical tune up?

Grover
01-12-2006, 05:55 AM
Im too scared to find out.Agood friend of mine nearly paid the price of a cheap replacement machine when she had her machine serviced.

snlmama
01-17-2006, 08:30 AM
I called a place here once (I inherited my mils old sewing machine) and it was going to be $85 just for looking at it and cleaning it. I ended up not doing it.... :shrug

Iarwain
01-17-2006, 09:03 AM
I do mine myself. It's not hard. I do it whenever I notice it's not running as smoothly as I'd like. I had a link to how to adjust tension (upper and lower) but I can't get to it from this computer. I think I've posted it on the board before so maybe it's still here somewhere?

Basically to clean it you open up everything you can open (one section at a time so it's easier to put back together) and clean out any lint with a soft paintbrush then put 1-2 drops of sewing machine oil on any metal moving parts you can find. Some sewing machines have little holes where you drop in oil to get at parts you can't open up so look for tiny little unexplained holes on the casing and drop a bit of oil in there too. Turn the hand wheel as you oil things to get it spread around really good. Some machine manuals actually have an oiling diagram in them, so it's worth checking.

HTH. :) No way would I spend $85 to have someone do it for me.

tempus vernum
01-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks so much for the info. My manual gives the directions but I feel really nervous - I'll have to give it a try. SOmething else was broken but I can't remember what he said :think My machine runs like a dream now :tu I am glad someone else did it for me the first time cuz now I know how well it can run :highfive