PDA

View Full Version : What does a veggie meal look like and a few other ??'s

milkmommy
01-09-2006, 04:18 PM
:O Okay stupid question... Lately Ive been moving more and more veggie (not vegan I still eat eggs dairy etc) but meatless, and I feel lots better but
1) I'm kinda wonderng what a Veggie plate looks like :O like going from meat main dish and veggie fruit sides to Veggie main dish to ??? with it. Like today for lunch I made my self an alvacado swiss cheese and tomato sandwich with some apple sauce (motts not the #1 best choice but still decent) and some potato chips :O Like I felt like I wanted something but the chips kinda "ruined" the feel of the meal (does that make any sense? :hunh :giggle) SO what does a full veggie meal look like?
2) What can be used for protein I'm big on protein intake because it really helps with my blood sugar.. I'm okay with some dairy but don't want to do tons
3) Sometimes I crave something savory spicy what have you found that sasify that craving?
4) DH is not on board with the veggie change and I'm not trying to get him. My personal choice doesn't need to be his, I'll see whats best for Cecilia at this point I will not restrict her cause she eats soo little right now, so What are some good meals that I can keep "veggie" but easily make "meaty"?
Thanks I hope I'm making some sense...

Deanna

ArmsOfLove
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
beans and tofu and variations of those things are great sources of protein, as is broccoli :tu (47% protein or something like that :grin) and the meal is bigger portions of veggie stuff :shifty No, really! Think spaghetti with marinara and a salad--just leave off the meatballs; or rice and stir fry veggies, etc. Is there a specific meal you're thinking of trying to replace??? Basically you give up the idea that you need 3 things :grin

milkmommy
01-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Basically you give up the idea that you need 3 things
:shifty thats going to tak some getting used too :O :giggle I'm just so used to you have a meat you have a "starch' and you have sides like you have a steak a potato and some peas.. Guess I just need to get that idea out of my mind. :giggle So next Veggie for dummies question umm how do you use tofu?? Like when even I cook it it just tastes like glue :shifty but I've had iit other places where I can hardly tell its fake..

Deanna

Desert Rose
01-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree with Crystal. One thing I realized when I went veg was that my portion sizes were too big anyway. I actually found that I didn't need some big ol' veggie dinner to replace the meat, because I was already eating too much anyway. I hope that makes sense. I just try to make sure I get my protein in..beans, some dairy, eggs, etc. - everyday...

thomer
01-09-2006, 07:16 PM
My DH is not a veggie either, and I make 'seperate' meals all the time.

Stuff that really works is getting a bunch of meat and cooking it up and freezing it. Then when you make your vegitarian meal, you can just nuke some meat at the last minute and throw it on your DH's plate.

Or, I make casserole but make it in two 8x8 pans instead of one 9x13 pan - then I can add meat to one and not the other.

Stuff we make a lot -
Homemade pizza
Spaghetti
Any kind of soup (add meat later)
Make your own tacos
Stir fry

Hope that helps.

Desert Rose
01-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Or, I make casserole but make it in two 8x8 pans instead of one 9x13 pan - then I can add meat to one and not the other.

That's a great idea! :D

Singingmom
01-09-2006, 10:36 PM
One way to cook tofu as a meat substitute is to drain it, freeze it, thaw it, squeeze it (squeeze the water out really well). It has a totally different texture, more meaty, and almost spongy so it will sort of absorb the flavors of whatever you cook it with. Break it up and saute it with your onions and add spices for chili, spaghetti, stirfry, tacos, etc. If you have a nonstick pan it helps to give it a crusty layer. Recipes tell you to brown it, but I've never known it to actually brown unless it's from soy sauce or something. :)

I'm glad you asked the question. I'm working on this, too.

milkmommy
01-09-2006, 10:43 PM
One way to cook tofu as a meat substitute is to drain it, freeze it, thaw it, squeeze it (squeeze the water out really well). It has a totally different texture, more meaty, and almost spongy so it will sort of absorb the flavors of whatever you cook it with. Break it up and saute it with your onions and add spices for chili, spaghetti, stirfry, tacos, etc. If you have a nonstick pan it helps to give it a crusty layer. Recipes tell you to brown it, but I've never known it to actually brown unless it's from soy sauce or something. :)

I'm glad you asked the question. I'm working on this, too.

Can I do this and store it like to use for a few meals or would I need to use it right away? Does that make sense?

Deanna

Singingmom
01-09-2006, 11:02 PM
After you've thawed it and squeezed it, you could keep part of it in the fridge for several days I would think, no problem.