PDA

View Full Version : question about flu... if/when to call the doc?

Katherine
01-09-2006, 08:48 AM
We've all had a stomach virus or flu for the last few days. It started Thursday, I think, when my 4yo barfed all over the kitchen and downstairs bathroom. :neutral Dh started later that night. My 2yo and I didn't have any of the obvious symptoms (throwing up, diahrrea) until Saturday morning. The general symptoms have stomach ache/nausea, head and body aches, vomiting and diahrrea... no noticeable fevers. Everyone is still drinking plenty and eating at least a tiny bit.

I only felt REALLY bad for one full day. The boys seemed to recover almost instantly; they say they feel fine and are playing, etc., but they still have a round of diahrrea every morning. :scratch My 2yo is a tad more irritable, but he's also cutting molars. :shrug

Is there a point at which I should call my ped.? (They wanted us to get flu shots since we have a newborn; I said no. Plus the boys are all officially way behind on vaxing now, so that issue might come up--we still have found another doctor who will see us :( ) I'm guessing there's nothing they can do anyway... they typically don't give anti-diahrrea meds to young children. I really would prefer to handle it without involving our doc's office, but I don't want to be negligent or let this go too far.

granolamommy
01-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Personally I would skip seeing a doc. If the diarrhea is the only remaining symptom, and this is usually the last to clear up, I would just try and keep them hydrated with clear liquids and feed them the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, (can't remember A, anyone else?), Toast & Taters. These are foods that are not as rough on the stomach, and they are also binding so they help stiffen stools.

AmyDoll
01-09-2006, 03:17 PM
A is for Applesauce

yea i'd leave the doc out of it - if they are hydrated and improving.

i'd call a doctor when for more than 6 hours or so someone couldn't keep even teeny bits of fluid down or if someone had nothing for 6 hours they were still vomiting (Ok so that's what my midwife told me when I ended up in the hospital - sounds like a good general rule)

4LovesMom
01-09-2006, 03:29 PM
What they said. Dd -2 and Dd-10 months just had it one after the other and I didn't bother calling since they both stayed hydrated. They had all the symptoms you mentioned plus fever.

granolamommy
01-09-2006, 03:45 PM
A is for Applesauce

:tu Thanks, I thought that was it but just couldn't remember!

GodChick
01-09-2006, 04:18 PM
I agree with the previous advice. The "stomach flu" is not really the flu, anyway, --it's a misnomer-- so a flu shot would not have helped in the slightest. As long as they aren't dehydrated, you're correct that the doc wouldn't do much anyway. Hope everyone is feeling better soon! :hug

mom2threePKs
01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Dr Sears says it is normal for what he calls "nuscence diarreha" to hang around for up to 2-3 weeks after a stomach bug. it is usually related to the irritation in the colon from the illness and it just takes time for it to heal. As long as they are realtively well and staying hidrated, I wouldn't call the doc. Also if you do dairy try to cut it out. Temporary lactose intolerance is also very common after a stomach bug.

Magan

Katherine
01-09-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the reassurance ladies!

I didn't realize stomach upset could hang around that long. Should we consider ourselves contagious until these sporadic bouts of diahhrea stop happening? I started canceling and rescheduling appointments today, but that was on the assumption that it would only take a few more days for us to get through this. :think

We are all experiencing a cyclical thing were we start feeling better for a day or a half a day and then it hits us again. :banghead I've been stressing over trying to clean the house really well--thinking we are re-infecting ourselves with some kind of virus. (but it's all I can do just to stay on top of the new messes at this point) From what you're saying, it may just be irritated colons and not necessarily a matter of "still" being sick or being sick "again" ? :think

4LovesMom
01-09-2006, 08:13 PM
Should we consider ourselves contagious until these sporadic bouts of diahhrea stop happening? I started canceling and rescheduling appointments today, but that was on the assumption that it would only take a few more days for us to get through this. :think

We are all experiencing a cyclical thing were we start feeling better for a day or a half a day and then it hits us again. :banghead I've been stressing over trying to clean the house really well--thinking we are re-infecting ourselves with some kind of virus. (but it's all I can do just to stay on top of the new messes at this point) From what you're saying, it may just be irritated colons and not necessarily a matter of "still" being sick or being sick "again" ? :think

According to a pediatrician friend of mine, once it's down to just the diahrrea, that's the only contagion - so keeping it in the diaper or toilet and keeping hands washed will keep it from spreading.

Yes, I bet you're just experiencing the virus taking it's time to resolve.

cobluegirl
01-10-2006, 11:24 AM
another thing good for diarhea.. is acidophilus!!!

GodChick
01-10-2006, 02:47 PM
another thing good for diarhea.. is acidophilus!!!

Fer sure!! :clap :tu :clap :tu