PDA

View Full Version : need some help ... ear infection info/sticky for a 2 yo??

joystrength
01-06-2006, 05:08 PM
I know its prob here somewhere, but ...

My DD (2 yo) woke up after a 20 min nap inconsolably crying. When she FINALLY calmed down enough, she said, "My ear hurts, mommy. OUCH!!!). And since then, she's been holding it and not wanting me to touch it.

She's had some sort of sinus drainage for two days now. Mostly clear.
No liquid coming from ear.
No fever.
Some cough.
No sign of molars on this side, but some on the other.
She doesn't want me to put her down and is in the sling just rubbing her ear.
I couldn't find ANY sign of a bug bite, etc, either.

My suspicions:

--ear infection? ALTHOUGH, she's NEVER had one. She also nursed until 3 mo ago (weaned at 25 mo).
--sinus pressure?

Any thoughts or advice? I've never dealt w/an ear infection (DS never had any either)>

TIA, mamas!

PurpleButterfly
01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
I know its prob here somewhere, but ...

My DD (2 yo) woke up after a 20 min nap inconsolably crying. When she FINALLY calmed down enough, she said, "My ear hurts, mommy. OUCH!!!). And since then, she's been holding it and not wanting me to touch it.

Sure sounds like an ear infection or at least fluid on the ear to me. You can give her several things for immediate comfort:

Nursies (assuming the suction does not cause her more ear pain, sometimes it does).

Hylands Homeopathic Earache Tablets (available at most drug stores).

Since there is no pus or any sign of burst ear drum (she would no longer be in pain if the drum burst), you can administer some EBM and/or alternately a few drops of very lightly warmed (and wrist tested) olive oil (put a garlic clove in it if you have one, obviously remove it before adding the drops to the ear). Ideally, you can get to the store tomorrow to get some specific children's ear oil remedy that includes garlic and mullein for comfort/anti-viral/anti-bacterial effectiveness. I love Herbs for Kids and also Gaia Kids ear oils.

A soft washcloth dunked in very warm water, wrung out, and applied over the entire ear will help to open the eustacian tubes and relieve some pressure/pain.

A calming steamy bath with her favorite bubbles and/or soothing aromatherapy (lavendar, chamomile...) and some dim lighting for relaxing in the tub with mama. While you're in there, try giving her an "ear massage":
~Massage your child's ear to keep the eustachian tube open and promote drainage. Using gentle pressure, draw a line along the back of the ear and down the back of the jawbone. Gently push and release the flap of skin in front of the ear several times. You can also massage the ear by placing the fleshy part of your palm, just below your thumb, over your child's ear, and gently rotating the ear in all directions.

Bach's Rescue Remedy is very helpful for relieving anxiety and stress in both parent and child (available at health/natural food stores) - great stuff to always have on hand.

Give her lots of clear fluids and if possible, make a nice broth for her using garlic, onions, and ginger - all immune-boosting, anti-viral/bacterial and very healing/nourishing. I puree mine into broth and add floating toast stars (cut w/paring knife) for kid appeal.

Get a good probiotic (we use Culturelle) to help her immune system.

Avoid ALL sugar and juices unless fresh-squeezed (weakens the immune system) , ALL dairy (causes the body to thicken and produce mucous, which her ears don't need any more of), and all fried/fatty foods (tax the liver which is the basis of the immune system).

Lots and lots of cuddles and rest; avoid sick kids and big crowds (obviously). :wink

A page I made when my ds was suffering from chronic ear infections:
http://groups.msn.com/APhearts/whatworkedforus.msnw

:hugs and :pray

joystrength
01-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Thank you SO much, Kym!!

PurpleButterfly
01-06-2006, 08:03 PM
You're so welcome, mama. :hug I'm sorry I didn't see earlier that she doesn't need nursies anymore. Kudos to you for over two years of such an amazing gift! :rockon Hope she's feeling better very soon! :heart

cobluegirl
01-06-2006, 09:54 PM
yup what she said