PDA

View Full Version : Eggplant

ShangriLewis
01-02-2006, 02:31 PM
My husband really likes eggplant. I slice it and saute in a bit of olive oil for sandwhiches. We toast the bread and spread with garlic and Earth Balance. I bought him some frozen battered cutlets from Trader Joes, so he can just pour sauce on them.

What do you like to do with it? I really need some more ideas.

joyfulmomof2
01-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't know, but you are making my mouth water! ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

ArmsOfLove
01-02-2006, 02:49 PM
cube it and saute it then add maple syrup and bragg's and some molasses and serve it over rice :tu

Katiebug
01-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Sliced, marinated in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, sauted and sprinkled with fresh parmesan ( we do dairy ;) )

acrunchymama
01-08-2006, 12:56 PM
slice it, toast it, top with a slice of mozzarella and spaghetti sauce. mmmm

jujubnme
01-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Do you eat cheese? I make eggplant parmesan from the Trader Joe's eggplant cutlets. Just layer jarred marinara sauce, eggplant and mozzarella cheese in a 9" x 9" pan and bake at 400 F for about 20 minutes. Or, there's a recipe for making it from scratch on Whole Foods recipes: New Fashioned Eggplant Parmesan (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/wh_eggplantparm.html)

Edited to clarify that you do need to bake the eggplant before putting it in the casserole (follow directions on box). And a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese on top before you bake will make the dish actually match its name. ;)

Danette
01-08-2006, 02:55 PM
YUM... my dh makes yummy eggplant Parmesan.

I like to make Thai green curry with different types of eggplants... and peppers... and sweet basil.... ohh yummy.

ShangriLewis
01-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Duh! I forgot about Curry. My dh always get the green curry with eggplant in it when we eat out. Maybe I'll try eggplant in my curry instead of tofu. I use the sauce from Trader Joes. It's so good!

Danette
01-09-2006, 11:05 AM
If you hit the Asian markets they have some different varieties of eggplant that go really well in the curry. Some are round baseball sized and green and others are grape like and come in a cluster.. they are green as well. So yummy along with the standard or Japanese purple.

Danette
01-09-2006, 11:14 AM
http://www.evergreenseeds.com/evergreenseeds/oreg.html

Here's a list I just found. The kind I have used in my curry were the Thai round green eggplants. I don't see the little cluster ones I talked about.... maybe they aren't really eggplants... or maybe they are just a baby variety of one of the ones listed. :shrug

I haven't looked to see if we have an Asian market since we've moved.... I gotta do that, this thread is making me hungry. :yum

PurpleButterfly
01-10-2006, 11:02 PM
I roast it, skin on, in the oven with root vegetables that have been lightly tossed in olive oil, sea salt, and fresh herbs. :yum :yum

I also layer it on sandwiches with a slice of melted cheese (reg or veggie/soy), a few thinly sliced crunchy onions, and Nayonaise spread on the bread, the popped under the broiler for a sec.

Don't forget baba ganoush (http://www.wholefoods.com/recipes/rcr_babaganoush.html)! We love this spread on pita triangles or with pita chips for dipping. :yum

Danette
01-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I also layer it on sandwiches with a slice of melted cheese (reg or veggie/soy), a few thinly sliced crunchy onions, and Nayonaise spread on the bread, the popped under the broiler for a sec. Now that sounds yummy. :yum