PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a Westie White?

JoyGal
12-21-2005, 07:44 AM
Anyone have any ideas on keeping a West Highland Terrior white? His body isn't so bad, but his feet and beard are always brown. I've done some research and have learned that it is common, but have not found any good ways to keep him clean looking. :scratch I've tried washing, brushing and white doggy shampoo. If anyone has any ideas (short of keeping him shaved for the winter ;)) we would appreciate it so much!!

Thank you

AmyDoll
12-21-2005, 08:29 AM
you can try bluing shampoo - it's shampoo made for silver/gray hair - it's purple when you open it.

don't use too much or he'll be BLUE!!! LOL we used to use it on white dogs when I worked at a kennel.

Sanveann
12-26-2005, 06:30 AM
There are special whitening shampoos for dogs, too ... check out http://www.cherrybrook.com/

cklewis
12-26-2005, 07:41 AM
You've got a Westie? We have a puppy. She's cracking us up. When she isn't eating her poo, that is :sick

I've also read that dabbing hydrogen peroxide on the spot is a good solution. DH just got some eye goo cleaner, and I think that has whitening stuff.

C

JoyGal
12-28-2005, 03:06 PM
Great ideas ladies, thank you! I've been checking out that website and it really is very good! He's such a good little dog!

Sanveann
12-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Their brushes are especially nice quality. They work great on my Macy!

Aisling
12-28-2005, 04:55 PM
You've got a Westie? We have a puppy. She's cracking us up. When she isn't eating her poo, that is :sick

I've also read that dabbing hydrogen peroxide on the spot is a good solution. DH just got some eye goo cleaner, and I think that has whitening stuff.

C

eww! This must be a Westie trait! Ours did the same thing :doh Besides that, they're delightful little creatures, aren't they? :hearts

Sometimes if westies get dry patches in their skin, they will chew on themselves..and something in their saliva leaves a rusty brown stain. You might ask the vet about what kind of shampoos you could try that won't irritate his skin. They're such hardy little pets, but they are kinda prone to skin problems ;)

MizMama
12-30-2005, 10:04 AM
:cry no fair! ROFL sorry! I've wanted a westie for soooo long now, but it's been next-to-impossible to get one up here! We 'settled' on a Yorkie (but a larger one?)...but I still want a Westie!

Lucky ducks! :D