PDA

View Full Version : Ques. for the Computer Savvy: Voice Recognition Software?

RealLifeMama
12-19-2005, 10:27 AM
For years, my granddad has wanted to write his memoirs. He has talked briefly about trying to get some of that voice recognition software that he could talk into and it would transfer his words to his computer.
But he's never actually done it.
Does anyone know about this and if it works and what kind I should get him if I got it for him?

alwaysHis324
12-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Voice recognition software can be a valuble tool. You do have to train the software to recognize your voice patterns. It seems to work best when you are deading somehitng to the program, as opposed to just talking freely. It can come up with some pretty funny stuff when you just talk to it!

Dragon Dictate is the top of line software for voice recognition. Its expensive I'm sure, but its a good program.

cklewis
12-19-2005, 12:06 PM
When I was having a ton of trouble with carpal tunnel, I used Dragon Dictate in grad school for all my notes. It worked pretty well, and that was way back when. I'm sure they've improved it.

But. . . . he needs a really up-to-date computer a good headset-microphone and your help. That stuff is very, very touchy to get started. You have to get it in tune to YOUR voice and YOUR way of saying things. I still read my notes from grad school and laugh at how it mis-heard me. It eventually corrects itself and learns as it goes, but at the beginning you have to be very tenacious. VERY.

It's not for the faint-hearted, but it may be worth a try if you help him!!

C