PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Diaper Covers and/or Nappy Pants

Soliloquy
12-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Has anyone done this? Can you give me some good links and/or tips? Thanks!!!

Punkie
12-18-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm working on this one (http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/soakers/pattern/) (the pink one) and its SO cute :grin The pattern is really easy and I bought the same yarn (Cascade 220 in "shrimp"). I bought the yarn off of eBay. :)

Grover
12-19-2005, 04:09 PM
I bought a patternf from fern and faerie that you could use with any yarn etc,but that involved alot of calculations.I preferred the little turtle knits one.It was quick to knit.However ask around any older knitters[family/neighbours/church].My gran had lots of old patterns for 'pram suits' These comprise of a knitted Jacket and knitted trousers.Of course they all wore cloth diapers then too.They were the best longie patterns.
You need to use wool really to get the best results.Acrylic is ok,but not as good as wool.DO NOTuse any cotton or cotton blends in the yarn.The thicker the yarn and heavier the better too.
Finally just have a bash at making one,if your first atttempt is not so wondeful ,use it and make another.You learn from your mistakes

Soliloquy
12-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks!! I'll see if I'm feeling ambitious after Christmas. :tu

Moon
01-02-2006, 03:43 PM
I've made several! Lots of fun! Here's (http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL234/2068719/4378938/111281136.jpg) one pair I've done, those are done in Peace Fleece yarn. Good for night time and rough toddler play, sturdy stuff. My 3 month old has a pair done in Cascade 220 (good daytime only weight) that I'll swear I uploaded pictures of onto my pic trail but I can't find it.

I use the Fern and Faerie pattern, I like being able to customize the size to my kid's measurements, my toddler has a short rise for his wide waist. Most average Ls or XLs go up too high on his pudgy belly, but going down to a medium/large size won't get all the way around him. I have the Wooly Wonder pattern now too, haven't used it yet though.

cornflower
01-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I've done the Little Turtle Knits one. Ask Temple about what needed to be improved about it 'cause she allowed me to use Aja as a tester for the one I made. :mrgreen

tempus vernum
01-10-2006, 09:43 PM
ooh, I love those links and am just learning (again :lol) to knit. I have learned 3 times I think - just a basic stitch but I always go back to crocheting.

IslandMama
01-18-2006, 03:30 PM
I've made about 10 so far, and like the patterns that are knit in the round, with circular needles. Google punk knitters wool soaker pattern. You're mostly knitting so it goes by fast... I also love to crochet soakers, and the Cascade 220 works best for crocheting. Try knitpicks.com for some good yarn at a cheap price. I like the wool of the Andes for thicker soakers, and the merino is great for day weight or crocheting. Have fun! :mrgreen