PDA

View Full Version : DSL modem -- what to do with it?

Abinsmom
12-15-2005, 04:06 PM
I just switched from DSL to cable modem, and no longer need the DSL modem that came with my service. Should I just throw it away, or can I donate it? Would anyone be able to use it? I'm guessing most DSL services would provide their own modems, so anyone with DSL wouldn't need an extra modem, but before I throw it into a landfill, I thought I'd poll everyone to get some advice!

Any advice is welcome -- thanks!

2sunshines
12-15-2005, 04:06 PM
:shrug

Could you ask whoever your DSL server was if they want it back to re-use?

Abinsmom
12-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Actually, it's Earthlink, and they don't! It's about 2 years old, so I'm guessing they have better ones now. They told me to just toss it, but if someone else could use it, I'd be happy to send it on!

2sunshines
12-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Did it come free when you signed up for the service? If so, I'm assuming that anyone else who signs up for the service would also get a new one free. If you had to pay for it though, it could be a commodity. Do they sell them at the store?

I don't know anything about DSL modems. I know cable modems are something that you have to buy (or rent), at least around here.

Irene
12-15-2005, 06:08 PM
maybe if you cant personally find something to do with it, just give it to salvation army or something and someone will find something to do with it ;)