PDA

View Full Version : Pictures on CD versus DVD

purstrength
12-14-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm planning to scan and backup all my pictures in the next month or two. My brother is planning to do the same and called me last night to ask:

Is it better to put the pictures on CD or DVD? Is there a quality difference? What is your preference and why?

:popcorn Thank you!

Drew
12-14-2005, 12:28 PM
I would go with DVD simply because you can save more to a single disk. There isn't a quality difference inherent to the media you choose, but you would have more "space" to save your pictures at a higher quality.

ETA: Of course you'd have to have a DVD drive in your computer to retrieve the files from the DVD.

purstrength
12-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Okay! Thank you very much!

That's exactly what I needed to know!

tiglet
12-14-2005, 02:58 PM
I archive a lot of data. Several GB per month, and I struggle with this issue.

CD pro:
-cheap
-easy for lots of people/computers/players to read
-standardized format, stable over time
-the disc itself is less subject to wear and tear problems

CD con:
-holds much less than DVDs - so you need more

DVD pro:
-more space

DVD con:
-more $ per disc
-format *not* standardized - your DVD may not be playable on all DVD players, and may not be the format that is used, say, in 5 years
-disc itself is more fragile than a CD

Cons to both CD and DVD:
-neither of these discs are terrible stable in the decades time range. The dye is easily damaged by UV and heat, and DVDs are particularly sensitive to being "flexed."
-use a special pen for writing on them - ordinary Sharpie ink can eat through the disc and destroy your data. I've seen it happen!

The answer?
Lots of copies! And I check them 1/yr or so to make sure everything still works. It's not fun, but if your pictures/data are important to you....

Drew
12-15-2005, 09:06 AM
I archive a lot of data. Several GB per month, and I struggle with this issue.

CD pro:
-cheap
-easy for lots of people/computers/players to read
-standardized format, stable over time
-the disc itself is less subject to wear and tear problems

CD con:
-holds much less than DVDs - so you need more

DVD pro:
-more space

DVD con:
-more $ per disc
-format *not* standardized - your DVD may not be playable on all DVD players, and may not be the format that is used, say, in 5 years
-disc itself is more fragile than a CD

Cons to both CD and DVD:
-neither of these discs are terrible stable in the decades time range. The dye is easily damaged by UV and heat, and DVDs are particularly sensitive to being "flexed."
-use a special pen for writing on them - ordinary Sharpie ink can eat through the disc and destroy your data. I've seen it happen!

The answer?
Lots of copies! And I check them 1/yr or so to make sure everything still works. It's not fun, but if your pictures/data are important to you....

On a pure cost/MB basis, I'm pretty sure DVDs are cheaper. Using the correct pen to write on them can be stressed enough. Actually you're better off printing a label on your printer if you can.

thomer
12-15-2005, 09:29 AM
According to DH, if you use higher quality, the Sharpie will not eat through - YMMV of course.

He recommends 3M Verbatim.

Also, he said your burner should recommend a brand because the quality differs so much between the brands. There are also new kinds of CDs out called Archival quality CDs that will last longer. They cost more though.

purstrength
12-15-2005, 10:11 AM
What kind of pen do you use? What are the best storage conditions? I was planning on a cd booklet kept in the house, so it should stay dry, not too cold or hot.

I should have known this would end up being more difficult than I expected! :shifty

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts! :grin

tiglet
12-15-2005, 10:33 AM
I use special pens made by Maxell for writing on CDs, but special "for CD" pens are at any office supply store now.

I do use high-quality discs. And the Sharpie ate through it. Tell your dh to stop using them! :)

When the data is very very important to me, I buy "gold" CDs - these CDs have a different type of dye that is more stable over time. Important to make sure that the CD isn't just *colored* gold and advertised as "gold" though.

I haven't done the cost analysis between CD and DVD recently. It could be cheaper now. :tu

The best storage conditions are dry (low humidity), dark, and cool.

thomer
12-15-2005, 10:35 AM
I do use high-quality discs. And the Sharpie ate through it. Tell your dh to stop using them!

I will! :)

purstrength
12-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Thank you! :oreo

Now that I've bought a 100 pack of cds, that I probably shouldn't use for pictures...what to do with them? :shifty :grin

purstrength
12-15-2005, 07:31 PM
The answer?

When you check them once a year, what exactly are you looking for? Once they start to go bad, can you salvage them?

tiglet
12-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Use your CDs. Make 2 copies of each. :) And, when you check it, it will either read fine or not read. Then you go get your second copy, check it, and hopefully all is well with it. So you can copy it, and have copy 1 and copy 2 again.

:)

It's more work, but has saved me endless heartache.

azgirls
12-17-2005, 01:03 AM
I had no idea about the sharpie pens! That is what I have been using on all my cds. Guess I better make copies and ditch the pen! YIKES!
Thanks for all the great info, though!

purstrength
12-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Thank you for all your wonderful advice! :rockon