PDA

View Full Version : Computer program for working with photos?

expatmom
12-13-2005, 04:48 PM
I've noticed the array of nice Christmas cards being posted & am wondering what computer programs you are using to work with you photos?

DH is just getting into working with his photos on the computer & insists that he needs Photoshop because it is the gold standard. He prefers to get "the best" and then doesn't always use these things to their full potential. He would really like a program for Christmas, so I'd like to suprise him.

I know that there are good programs that would be (far) less expensive, but don't know their names. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks!

inesperada
12-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Photoshop Elements is a pared-down version of photoshop for amateurs that is typically one fifth the price of regular photoshop. :)

expatmom
12-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Photoshop Elements is a pared-down version of photoshop for amateurs that is typically one fifth the price of regular photoshop. :)

Thanks. DH has investigated that one & says it doesn't have all that he needs. He's pretty gifted with photography, so I know he probably would need more then would satisfy the average scrapbooker (me!).

jujubnme
12-13-2005, 04:57 PM
In that case, you might want to reconsider Photoshop. For someone who needs more than the basics, it really is the best. :shifty

tiglet
12-13-2005, 06:05 PM
My dh is a photonut, and has Elements. He grouses every now and then about wanting Photoshop, but says that Elements takes care of 70% of what he wants. So we're waiting till our finances look a little better before shelling out.

If you're serious about buying Photoshop, look for a University connection. The academic price is waaaaay better than retail.

2sunshines
12-13-2005, 07:38 PM
We use Microsoft Digital Image Pro. It came with my Microsoft Publisher so I'm not sure how much it costs. But it seems to do everything I want. :shrug And I do digital scrapping with it, plus lots of photo stuff.

Honestly, though, if your dh has researched and really wants photoshop, if you can afford it, I'd go with that one.

kris10s
12-13-2005, 07:59 PM
I used "real" photoshop for years (as a photographer's assistant) and now use PS Elements 3.0 and there are VERY few things I can't do and nothing I really miss from the real deal.

Drew
12-14-2005, 12:40 PM

Thanks. DH has investigated that one & says it doesn't have all that he needs. He's pretty gifted with photography, so I know he probably would need more then would satisfy the average scrapbooker (me!).

I was going to suggest Elements as well. Personally I use the full version since I do a lot of graphic editing and layout for print. Elements doesn't support CMYK (used for printing) or channel separations.

My dh is a photonut, and has Elements. He grouses every now and then about wanting Photoshop, but says that Elements takes care of 70% of what he wants. So we're waiting till our finances look a little better before shelling out.

If you're serious about buying Photoshop, look for a University connection. The academic price is waaaaay better than retail.

:yes But keep in mind that it is illegal to use the Academic version if you are not a qualifying student/faculty member.

Also, Adobe allows a free 30 day trial of the full versions of almost all of their product. Check out their website to download.

expatmom
12-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Elements doesn't support CMYK (used for printing) or channel separations.

I think that was one of his concerns.

:yes But keep in mind that it is illegal to use the Academic version if you are not a qualifying student/faculty member.

I'm still technically a graduate student, so I thought I could "legally" get the Academic version. But here in Eastern Europe, I either have to own my own educational institution or be a faculty member. I haven't been able to figure out if I could order the Academic version online from Canada/USA.

Drew
12-14-2005, 01:58 PM

I'm still technically a graduate student, so I thought I could "legally" get the Academic version. But here in Eastern Europe, I either have to own my own educational institution or be a faculty member. I haven't been able to figure out if I could order the Academic version online from Canada/USA.

Maybe try eBay?

Irene
12-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Elements doesn't support CMYK (used for printing) does this mean you cant print the pictures?

jujubnme
12-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Elements doesn't support CMYK (used for printing) does this mean you cant print the pictures?

You should be able to print them on a home/office printer just fine. CMYK is a process used by professional print shops.

LadyBird
12-14-2005, 03:01 PM
I have both Photoshop full version and Photoshop Elements. I end up using Elements most of the time for web work. But for print I would probably go with the full version. It all depends on what you are printing for. Professional stuff probably needs the full version, but for cards and simple small business stuff Elements would do fine. You can send stuff to your print shop in town usually with .psd, .tiff etc without any problems. I print from my computer and it is just what I need for the small stuff. I teach it up at the library as well, and got Elements on eBay for 20.00. The full version was given to me. I got lucky.

Drew
12-15-2005, 08:51 AM

Yes, you can print pictures. CMYK stands for Cyan Magenta Yellow Black, which are the four ink colors used when printing. Some colors that can be displayed in RGB (Red Green Blue, optical color components) cannot be created in CMYK. Working with images in CMYK mode will give you a truer representation of what the printed document will look like. Which you need depends on what you are doing.

You should be able to print them on a home/office printer just fine. CMYK is a process used by professional print shops.

Home printers use the same color inks/toners (CMYK).

thomer
12-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Gimpshop (http://blog.yumdap.net/archives/20-GIMPshop-for-Windows.html) is a free version and very similar to Photoshop. It doesn't hurt to try it, and if DH doesn't like it, at least you will have some time to save up for Photoshop

I agree that Photoshop is the best though - we're saving our pennies for it too.

kris10s
12-15-2005, 10:23 AM
In order to need CMYK, you'd need a very expensive photo printer -- not the sort you buy at Best Buy.

I upload high resolution pictures and have them printed at Sam's or one of the online places and they look great.

Drew
12-15-2005, 12:41 PM
I agree that you don't necessarily need CMYK to print at home, since you're not offset printing. As I said, it depends on what you're working on.

ETA- Elements also doesn't support image masking (since it doesn't support channels) and doesn't have the Heal tool, both of which I use a lot.