PDA

View Full Version : Need a good squash soup recipe--pronto!

diamondintherough
12-12-2005, 12:08 PM
I have a good-sized butternut squash that I need to use up. I would love to make some soup with it. Anybody got a great recipe to share?

Cristina

Marzipan
12-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Well. I'm not sure if this is a good recipe or not. I made it three nights ago, but dh and I both got sick before we could eat it. But if no one else posts something tried and true, it may be worth a shot.

1 large butternut or buttercup squash.
2 tart apples
2 medium onions
4-5 c vegtable broth
1T extra virgin olive oil
salt
chili powder

Peel squash and cut in to 2 in pieces. Peel and quarter onions. Peel, core and quarter apples. Toss together in a roasting pan to coat with oil. Season with chili powder and salt to taste. Place in preheated 400 degree oven and roast for 40 minutes (or until squash pierces easily wiht a fork), stiring every 10 minutes. Put half the vegtable mixture in a blender with 2 cups broth, and puree. Add to pot on stove. Puree the other half with 2 more cups of broth. Add second half to pot and bring to a simmer, adjust seasonings to taste. If it is too thinck add a little more broth.

The book I got this from recommends serving it with a dollop of cilantro pesto on top. I wish you lived near here, I'd give you my unopened package. :yes