PDA

View Full Version : Best food to bring to a church social?

Punkie
12-10-2005, 04:22 PM
My bible study is having a social, and its a really big group. I signed up to be one of the people bringing a main dish, since I wasn't so sure there'd be a vegetarian one if I didn't bring it ;) The leader was excited when I said it'd be vegetarian though, because she said that she's been thinking of making the switch. I want to bring something really yummy. Any thoughts? I want it to look unintimidating, because I know that at functions where there's a bunch of food on a table, I always go for familiar things ;)

I'd love to bring something vegan, but I can settle for ovo-lacto...

So, here were my thoughts, but I'm open to any ideas!
- vegetarian lasagna (http://pasta.allrecipes.com/az/HeartyVegetableLasagn.asp)
- baked ziti
- black bean chilaquile (http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=36379.msg325788#msg325788)
- cheese enchiladas
???

ArmsOfLove
12-10-2005, 05:41 PM
I usually do very stretching meals:

Crock pot lentil soup or bean chili
Pasta salad with veggie and bean added
Rice salad with beans and salsa w/ corn chips on side

hth :)

Punkie
12-10-2005, 05:50 PM
What is rice salad? :shifty

ArmsOfLove
12-10-2005, 06:17 PM
:O I just make rice and then add salsa, black beans, veganaise, corn--whatever fits. I've also done rice and then added spinach and marinara and olives. Just use rice instead of pasta--makes it stretch even farther :tu

ShangriLewis
12-10-2005, 09:16 PM
I was thinking enchilada or taco casserole. It might stand up better than enchiladas. I always have a problem with enchiladas falling apart. You could have goodies on the side like sour cream, salsa and green onions.

Mini-quiches. You just make them in muffin tins. They are really cute and bite size. I make vegan ones from tofu with chunks of tofutti cream cheese.

memory maker
12-12-2005, 01:30 PM
I usually make a pasta salad with veggies and beans and cover it with an italian style dressing. It always seems to be a hit

peacefulveganmom
01-12-2006, 05:34 PM
So, I'm curious......how did your wonderful veggie meal go over?? :grin I hope it went amazingly well! :yum

joyfulmomof2
01-12-2006, 08:42 PM
I love the Vegetarian Lasagne idea. Something I had when out to dinner with my folks last week was a Spinach and low-fat Cream Cheese Enchilada. Man was it good or what!!!

Punkie
01-13-2006, 10:06 AM
It was great! Everyone ate it up! I brought ziti, because its a vegetarian meal that people are normally comfortable with... :)

peacefulveganmom
01-13-2006, 10:50 AM
Good move! :tu Comfortable foods are always a winner! Glad it went over so well! :)

Calm_Chaos
01-17-2006, 09:25 AM
This is a great thread. There's a church potluck on Sunday. I have a vegan (well, semi-vegan--it uses white flour and sugar, though I'm going to experiment with some whole wheat flour) chocolate cake. I've yet to walk away from a dinner hungry, but I figure bringing a sandwhich doesn't hurt. (If I actually remember to bring one. :grin)

Noodles and something is a good idea. Over a year ago some friends moved from here in Columbus to Montana. Naturally, they didn't want to trasnport their pantry. They gave me half of a large bag of spaghetti and I don't eat spaghetti enough. I have a meatless, eggless white gravy recipe that I could mix with it and maybe some frozen veggies and spices. A little boring, maybe, but it might work. Actually, I think I might be the only veg*n in church. Eh.

What gets me are the "surprises" in the pot luck--surprise bacon in salads for instance. Hence the name pot luck, eh? Regardless of whether or not I make the pasta or the cake, I still have to buy something. I have just under a cup of sugar and the cake calls for two cups. Since there is nothing else sweet in the cake, I add the two full cups.

Actually, lentil soup sounds good too. I add canned tomato sauce and tomatoes and steamed veggies and whatever else I have around to toss in. Cheap, easy and healthy. :grin

Laura

Punkie
01-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Have you ever tried sucanat? You can use it as a one-for-one sugar substitute and its vegan...

fancifulfrog
01-17-2006, 04:26 PM
Personally I like the Chili idea. Not that hard to make the crock pot does most the work. :tu