PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Salt Dough Recipes!!!(for ornaments)

DeenyB
12-09-2005, 11:03 AM
ds and want to make some, and I have searhced the internet for recipes, but thought if someone had one that worked for them, that would be great!!!!

Thanks In advance,

K

Bonnie
12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
This isn't a salt dough recipe, and I haven't tried it myself, but it comes highly recommended to me and it sounds marvellous...

They smell good for years. If they lose their smell, you take a little sandpaper to the back and the smell will return. You can do handprints of the kids for the grandparents.

Difficulty: Easy

Time Required: indefinite

What You Need:

* One 16 ounce jar of sweetened applesauce
* 8 ounces cinnamon
* Mixing Bowl
* Wax Paper
* Cheesecloth
* Curl ribbon, paperclips or ornament hooks
* Holiday cookie cutter(s)
* One drinking straw

Here's How:

1. The night before, drain the applesauce through cheesecloth and discard the fluid.

2. Cover your toddler (and yourself) with an apron or old shirt.

3. Prepare a surface to roll the dough onto. I like to use wax paper.

4. In a bowl, mix the applesauce and the cinnamon thoroughly and pat into a solidified ball.

5. Take about one cup of the mixture and place on the wax paper.

6. Place another piece of wax paper and place on top of the mixture and pat or roll until the ball is flattened and about 1/4" to 1/2" thick.

7. Cut the dough with cookie cutters. Use a straw to make a hole near the top so the ornament can hang.

8. Allow the ornament to dry. Depending on thickness, this may take 24-48 hours.

9. Thread a paperclip, ornament hook or curl ribbon through the hole.
Tips:

1. If you don't have cheesecloth to drain the applesauce, you can use an old birdseye weave cloth diaper (flatfold) or other very thin fabric.
2. Be careful not to make the hole too close to the top or breakage may occur.
3. Ornament hooks can be purchased in bulk at your local hobby store.
4. Be sure to use sweetened applesauce. The sugar content helps hold the ornament together and prevent breakage.

OR

Ingredients and Instructions
Mix 3/4 to 1 cup applesauce with 1 (4.12-ounce) bottle ground cinnamon to form a stiff dough. Roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Make hole for ribbon. Carefully put on rack to dry. Let air dry several days, turning occasionally. Makes 12 sweet-smelling, wonderfully aromatic ornaments.

CelticJourney
12-09-2005, 01:16 PM
I am trying to find mine, but I think it is one cup water, one cup salt, two cups flour. Bake at 250 for 1 hour.

lenswyf
12-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Those applesauce ornaments do smell great for years to come. I love the ones I have.

Play-Clay Ornaments

1 cup cornstarch
2 cups baking soda (1 pound)
1.5 cups cold water.

Mix dough. Roll out and cut. Air dry or speed dry in 350*F oven (put ornaments in oven and turn off heat, removing when oven is cool).

Paint as desired with acrylic paints, poster paints or watercolors.
Spray with 3-4 coats of quick drying plastic spray if a shiny finish is desired. This will also give it extra strength.

jujubnme
12-09-2005, 02:06 PM
We made the applesauce/cinnamon ornaments in Sunday school last week! :tu But our recipe was 5 T. applesauce and 5 T. cinnamon and Elmer's glue (amount wasn't given). I let the kids do the measuring and the dough was a little too wet, so we just kept adding cinnamon and glue till it stiffened a little. We used angel cutouts and sprinkled glitter on them. I made a little hole with a pencil for a string, and then put them on paper plates for the kids to take home, since they do take a while to dry out.