PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me name our new puppy?

Kingskid
12-08-2005, 04:11 PM
We have a new 5 month old mini poodle, BUT we cannot come up with a name for him. We have another poodle named Max and a female Shi Tzu named Pinkie. What name do you think of when you see him?? We know we don't like: Banjo, Bingo, Peanut, Jack, Frosty, Austin, Chewy. Help!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/kindskid/NamelessPup1.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/kindskid/NamelessPup.jpg

JessicaTX
12-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Fuzznugget. Well, that's what I thought when I first saw him =D

expatmom
12-08-2005, 04:34 PM
I'd give a dainty dog like that a macho manly name. How about Earl? Or Tex?

Aisling
12-08-2005, 04:46 PM
Cayenne, Axel, Einstien, Rufus, Beaker, Scruff, Jetson, Winston, Bruno, Smudge, Pinto.... what's his personality like?

Kingskid
12-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Awe - those are all cute names! I like Einstein and Pinto. Fuzznugget is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughtears

He's REALLY lovable, snuggly and sweet. He likes to get quick spurts of chewing, biting and jumping though - just like a true puppy.

inesperada
12-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Rooster. Don't ask - I don't know why that was the first thing I though when I looked at him.

Kingskid
12-08-2005, 05:17 PM
:lol That's funny, too!

I just ran through all the names with DH and he said NO to them all. :rolleyes2 It's gonna be like naming our children all over again! He said he wants a "light" name for him. :hunh What the heck does that mean!? :shrug

I like the name Henry, but he shot that down too. :banghead

Aisling
12-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Light, eh? :think

Chip? Spunky? Frito? :giggle Good luck!

Mothering by Heart
12-08-2005, 05:51 PM
When I see a poodle the first name I think if is FiFi :shifty

expatmom
12-08-2005, 05:52 PM
I like the name Henry

I think that is perfect!

How about Felix or Ben or Otto or Frodo?

Aerynne
12-08-2005, 07:05 PM
I don't know what your dh means, but here's a link to names that mean "light". How can you get more of a "light" name than that? :giggle

http://www.babycenter.com/babyname/results.jhtml?type=meaning&query=light&submitBtn.x=7&submitBtn.y=11

I like Abner and Lucas

Btw, he is super super cute!!

Edited to add the link, which I didn't put in before. Lots of name ideas there (many of them are girls' names, but some are boys')

joyfulmomof2
12-08-2005, 07:23 PM
I like Henry too, but I first thought Pillow when I saw him. :)

Kingskid
12-08-2005, 07:29 PM
All super cute names! I still like Henry and now I like Beau or Bogart. I liked the idea of finding a French name, but there are sooooo many. Beau an Bogart were on the list, though. Beavis was too, but it would just remind me of Beavis and , and although I thought it was hilarious in college....um, not so much anymore.

The little turkey refuses to go out in the snow and it's snowing like crazy here right now. So, it's off to the cage!

Keep 'em coming! Something has to stick!

believer
12-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Sammy

Aisling
12-08-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm so stuck on finding a puppy name :lol

Funny about the french name thing...the first thing I thought of when I saw him was Jacques (as in cousteau), but then I thought, "nahhh" :P~

QuiltinGramma
12-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Get out your baby name book or search the internet, that's what we did when we got our puppy.

A French name :think hmmmm....how about Pierre or Andre or...or...or........now where's that baby name book????

Have fun with your new baby.

Bobbie

Kingskid
12-09-2005, 03:25 PM
Umm...he's about to be named Stinky b/c he is stinking us out. He keeps tooting, which I assume is from the food change, and it's really killing us. :sick

inesperada
12-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Not exactly "light" but it certainly makes me :laughtears

Bonnie
12-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Pepe Le Peu! :laughtears :shifty

inesperada
12-09-2005, 03:31 PM

:laughtears

Aisling
12-09-2005, 03:53 PM
:giggle it's perfect! :lol

ServingGod
12-09-2005, 04:30 PM
We had a mini poodle, that came with the registered name Sonny Day Easter Parade. :laughtears I was dating dh when my dad and I got him. DH suggested Hamlet...and that is what he became...with some variations...such as Spamlet. :giggle Im still trying to name our Rat Terrier. Housebreaking is sllloooowwww going, but she is nearly there! In the beginning dh suggested we just call her Princess Pee-a-lot because she ALWAYS had to go!!!! We are used to having large dogs...so this is totally new territory!!!

believer
12-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Umm...he's about to be named Stinky b/c he is stinking us out. He keeps tooting, which I assume is from the food change, and it's really killing us. :sick

I had a cat that I named Stinky because his gas was so awful. He was a stray and had worms. When the worms went away, the gas did too. Has your puppy been dewormed?

Kingskid
12-11-2005, 07:12 AM
EEEK! That may be an issue b/c we got him from a pet store. OUr vet tech neighbor just said the same thing today - "make sure you get a fecal on him b/c the stores let them stand in their own feces. Bleck! So - we'll have him checked out this week.

We are considering the name ACE. My hubby is a big tennis buff and it kinda fits the little guy. We'll see! Thanks so much for all the adorable names!!!!!! :tu

Sanveann
12-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Just to warn you ... with pet-store pups, potty training can be a lot more difficult, because they have had to relieve themselves in their crates, which they would normally not do. (The instinct is to keep their den area clean, but in a store environment, they don't have a choice.)

Kingskid
12-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Yea, he seems to be just going wherever he happens to be. No real rhyme or reasoning. He is going outside with the other doggies, so we're hoping that repetition and following the pack will kick in with him. We aren't being aggressive with him when we find a mess. I guess it's GBD for dogs!? Hee hee. We only raise our voice when we catch him in the act and then we just say "NO, NO, NO!" and run him outside. Thankfully our carpeting is completely ruined already. Once we get him trained then we'll replace it - hopefully with tax $. :)

Still no name. We keep calling him Little Man or Little Dude. I love Pepe Le Peu, but DH is too picky.

Mother of Sons
12-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Einstein was my first thought when I saw his ears.

How about Andre? French AND tennis lol

Kingskid
12-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Yea - I guess Andre IS both French and Tennis. I'll run it by dh tonight. :tu We also thought of Wilson, after the brand name of tennis gear. Hee hee! DH is just making it too tough. I say, :"what about this?" and he goes "nope." :banghead Well, then you name him! Of course then he never really throws out a name. Our vet asked for his name today too and I had nothing. How embarrassing.

Maybe I should just pick the name and make him stick to it!?

ServingGod
12-12-2005, 04:24 PM
I know the feeling. Every name I have suggested for our pup is boycotted or I get a strange look. :shrug I feel so dumb yelling FRECKLES...or telling people that is her name. Having a small dog is weird enough...but a cutesy name just about does me in. :shifty (Im a large breed dog person)

believer
12-12-2005, 04:36 PM
I know the feeling. Every name I have suggested for our pup is boycotted or I get a strange look. :shrug I feel so dumb yelling FRECKLES...or telling people that is her name. Having a small dog is weird enough...but a cutesy name just about does me in. :shifty (Im a large breed dog person)

Our golden retriever is named Honey. Try yelling that around the neighborhood when the dog gets out - "Honey, come here now!" :laughtears

arymanth
12-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Our golden retriever is named Honey. Try yelling that around the neighborhood when the dog gets out - "Honey, come here now!"

I knew a lady with a pair of mini dachshunds, their names were "Glory" and "Hallelujah!" Imagine calling THAT out the back door! :laughtears

Kingskid
12-12-2005, 05:22 PM
:laughtears

hbmamma
12-13-2005, 07:18 AM
We picked a name for our puppy from the Sesame Street characters (Elmo, Zoe, Snuffy, Ernie, etc) - ended up with Zoe Monster. (it fits her well - she's a monster sometimes ;) )

Kingskid
12-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Well - you can all rest easy now! Although I loved Henry and Pepe the best, our new puppy's name is .....

LUCKY!

It came to mind and DH said "hmm...I kinda like that." Well, we left it to set in and then when I took him to his first vet visit today the nurse said "you should call him Lucky b/c he's lucky that you found and saved him." :jawdrop COOL! So...Lucky it is!

I'm also very happy to report that he is worm-free! We have a perfectly healthy, happy and well named pup. Thanks so much for the suggestions! They were ALL considered and some even gave us the chuckles. :rockon

Aisling
12-13-2005, 05:32 PM
I like it :D