PDA

View Full Version : avocado seed stringing beads?

Aerynne
12-06-2005, 11:31 AM
This idea just occurred to me. I was wondering if anyone had done this before. If you drilled holes in avocado seeds, could you make stringing beads for a kid to play with? Would the seeds rot? Would they need to be roasted or something first? Lacquered?

arwen_tiw
12-09-2005, 04:45 AM
We have kept them and let them dry out, cause they look pretty cool. They are still not rotted, but if the tot they were for was going to put them in their mouth maybe they should be painted with something drool-proof and child safe. :shrug I'm not sure but I think it's a great idea. :)

Aerynne
12-09-2005, 08:54 AM
So what is drool-proof and child safe?
Nice to know they don't rot if you keep them around.
I have discovered if you take the dark shell off, and you carve stuff in the light part underneath, the stuff you carve turns a very very dark shade of red. So you can decorate them. I googled avocado seed crafts, though, and found nothing, so I am wondering if there is a reason why nobody does it. Hmmmm. . .

arwen_tiw
12-10-2005, 04:46 AM
So what is drool-proof and child safe?

We had some really nice cot paint when Jenna was little that was meant to be non-toxic if she chewed on it, we used it all so I can't test if it sticks to Avocado seeds unfortunately. It would be ideal though I guess - but it comes in big pots in boring colours. :scratch

I am very very impressed by you carving them though. :tu Must have a go at that... My FIL gave me a hand drill too so I'm all set to have a first try, I just wonder if the seeds will go yicky under duress. :) Great idea, I hope you don't mind me joining in!

Aerynne
12-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Great idea, I hope you don't mind me joining in!

Of course not. :) Let me know how it goes.