PDA

View Full Version : music on picture cd's or home dvds?

Irene
12-05-2005, 04:14 PM
I am trying to make some dvds with video and pictures and add some music to them. I am having a problem with it because in my windows movie maker it says no can do because its copyrighted. in my pinnacle I click on the folder but its blank. my movie is in pinnacle but thought I would try windows movie maker just in case. anyway. I dont want to steal music and do illegal things, but dont people do this? put music on cds and dvds? are they stealing the music? how can I get music to put on my dvds?

SingingPraise
12-05-2005, 04:16 PM
You have to burn your music to a music cd and then use a cd 'ripper' (available free in windows media player or to download free online) to 'rip' the music to mp3 format before you can put it into your movie in windows movie maker.
As far as I know, movie maker can only burn to data cd's which you can't play on your dvd player.
I use Intervideo dvd or nero to pull the wmv file and then burn with my dvd player.

does that make sense?
hope this helps

Irene
12-05-2005, 04:51 PM
that does make sense. Also why it makes sense last year they didnt work in dvd players :doh embarrassing.

well, I bought some music a couple weeks ago on Napster (legal) and burned them to cd, but now it wont even let me play the cd, it keeps asking what subscription I have to napster. :/ napster said those songs "are yours to keep" yeah right. I thought it would be cheaper to pay 99 cents a song than to go buy 5 cds for one song off each cd. this is just getting frustrating. I dont have much for music here. I guess they will be getting plain dvds :blush

SingingPraise
12-05-2005, 05:46 PM
What I do is download from itunes.com or walmart.com then burn the music to a cd.
You can use windows media player to 'rip' the music back from the cd to an mp3 format and thats how you put it into the dvd. Save the movie file to your hard drive.

Then you go to a second program - nero or intervideo creator or something like that and import the file you saved in moviemaker.
Use that program to burn to dvd - if you have a dvd burner.

Alot of folks don't have all this software and hardware which is why they pay me to do these for them.
That said - if you have the wmv file and your stuck at this point, I wonder if you could email me (you can use yousendit.com to send HUGE files) your movie file. I could download, rip and add your music for you and burn your movie that you've made with the music I'll add to dvd. I'd charge you a minimal amount - the cost of your music ($1.06 off itunes), the cost of my dvd+r and sleeve ($1) and maybe an hour of my time which is what that should take for me to rip the music, add it, import to the other program, author that and burn it to dvd. (I charge $10/hour but youre a gcm mama so maybe $5? so like $7 plus a buck to ship it all back to you?)
Just figured I'd offer if you are stuck

barb

Irene
12-05-2005, 06:08 PM
okay thanks :) I will see what I can do first then I will think about your offer :tu you give me hope at least :)

Mother of Sons
12-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Yes it is a copyright violation to use copyrighted songs. People do it all the time but it's still not legal. It comes up alot in photography circles as alot of photographers make slideshows. Most photographers use royalty free music that you can purchase. Some places let you download it, other places send you a CD.

Irene
12-05-2005, 06:34 PM
where can you find royalty free music?

Mother of Sons
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM
If you google royalty free music, lots of stuff comes up. There's one that I saw that was really popular. I'll look and post it if I find it.

Irene
12-05-2005, 06:45 PM
cool! thanks :)