PDA

View Full Version : Steph's Leg is Bothering Her *UPDATE*

domesticzookeeper
12-05-2005, 05:01 AM
She's developed an off-and-on limp. No apparent cause, nor can we figure out what exactly is bringing on her limping episodes :shrug

It's her right hind leg that's the problem: she'll hold it up and refuse to put any pressure on it (no running, climbing, jumping, etc.) But after a short while, her leg is fine, and she's as active as normal. It hasn't kept her from scaling the shelves to the top of the cabinet, or climbing up onto my loft bed.

There have also been two occasions when she stretched her hind leg out behind her, and something looked "off". Like she'd stretch her leg but wouldn't pull it back right away :think

She's eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, playing, sleeping as usual :)

I suppose it's possible she had a fall, though none of us witnessed it. She has also been known to jump down from rather high areas, so maybe she landed wrong. It's the fact that it's not constant, which has me most curious.

Owing to the craziness of my schedule, we can't get to the vet until Friday :sad2

Please keep my baby girl in your thoughts and prayers, I'm worried about her.

*eta* oh, and she's 1 1/2 yo, around 7 pounds.

Wonder Woman
12-05-2005, 05:11 AM
:pray :hug2

expatmom
12-05-2005, 06:40 AM
What kind of animal is Steph? I hope that her limp goes away!

domesticzookeeper
12-05-2005, 09:59 AM
Sorry :O Stephanie is a cat :giggle

I'm really hoping it's just a sore muscle or strain, but I don't want to wait too long to see if it resolves itself.

She did the same thing when she was 8 weeks old, but the limp was constant and only lasted 48 hours. The vet said she had probably landed the wrong way, or wrestled too roughly with her littermates.

This time, the limp is infrequent (most of the time she seems fine), yet has been going on for nearly a week. I tried to feel around a little yesterday, to see if there were any particularly sensitive spots, but I couldn't tell if she was wriggling because I bothered the leg, or if she was wriggling because she hates being manhandled :rolleyes

expatmom
12-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Hmm, that is weird that it comes and goes like that. I've had cats all my life, but can't think of what that might be. Maybe it is dislocating? :shrug I hope she is okay! I hate it when my cats are not well. :(

domesticzookeeper
12-05-2005, 02:25 PM
We've got an appointment at the vet for 2:40 on Friday. Receptionist didn't have any ideas either :shrug

Happened two more times while I was at school today; one time, it was mid-run, and the other time she had just jumped down from the couch. Something is definitely not right :sad2

http://xd8.xanga.com/141860fbd203020358165/w14580588.jpg

boonpnutsmom
12-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Kitty, who is sitting here with me and I just said a quick :pray, let me know what you find out. :hug

domesticzookeeper
12-07-2005, 05:07 AM
She's acting a little stiff today. She didn't want to jump over the gate in my doorway (keeps the rabbits in my room), which she normally has no problems with. I opened it up and let her in.

Then, when I was sitting at my desk, she came over and put her paws on my leg, like she wanted to jump up - but wouldn't. So I picked her up and placed her on top of the moniter (the thing's a monolith :giggle). She's now sleeping on the shelf above the moniter.

*sigh* :sad2

expatmom
12-07-2005, 07:37 AM
Aww, something must be bugging her. Did she flinch when you picked her up? I hope that the vet can figure it out & that it will be relatively easy to remedy.

domesticzookeeper
12-09-2005, 12:16 PM
We've been pounded with a Nor'Easter, complete with unplowed roads and white-out conditions - we're not going anywhere.

I had to reschedule Steph's appointment for Monday at 3pm.

She hasn't shown any improvement; still reluctant to run, jump, climb, or wrestle with mom and sister.

The vet's office was just wonderful - They called, left a message at home, and then called me at work to see if I wanted to come in earlier. The receptionist was very concerned about us driving all the way out there, said not to worry about the appointment. They would be there, of course, but it would make her "feel better" if we stayed safe at home :)

I'm dissapointed that we're going to have to wait even longer. I so appreciate your kind thoughts and prayers, my mommy-heart is breaking for my little one :(

*eta*

It's almost as if her leg goes out on her. She'll try running and then she stops and refuses to put any pressure on it. Same thing happens when she tries to scale the shelves in my room (designed for the cats to climb on).

To my eye at least, it appears to be a problem with her hip. I would expect something like this in our 16 year old, not a young and otherwise completely healthy cat.

She's been letting us carry her, and normally she hates to be held. That's definitely a sign something is very off.

domesticzookeeper
12-12-2005, 12:20 PM
We're on our way to the vets right now...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/spacemonkey1812/EOcross.gif

expatmom
12-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Please keep us posted!

domesticzookeeper
12-12-2005, 02:49 PM
It took the vet less than five minutes to determine two things:

First, we have fleas :spit. The news came as a total shock, though now I can see the wisdom of year-round flea treatment. We stopped the cats' Frontline back in October, but we think they arrived on Thanksgiving with our uncle's scruffy dog. Won-der-ful. Honestly, we haven’t noticed any excessive itching or flea dirt, so who knows how long an infestation would have gone on undetected. Now I just need to figure out the best plan of action that will eradicate the little buggers. In the words of Bugs Bunny:

This means war :mad

Second, Stephanie has a 'luxating patella'. Her knee cap, which should rest in the groove of the femur joint, instead floats in and out of that groove. When she runs or jumps, her knee cap dislocates, and when she's stretching her leg repeatedly, she's trying to pop it back into place. A luxating patella is not entirely uncommon (it’s often found in small dogs); she'll get an anti-inflammatory for the next few days, and we'll be giving her a daily dose of cosequin as a joint supplement.

There is a possibility that in the future she'll need surgery. Her knee is at risk for either arthritis or an excessive calcium build-up, and since she's such a young cat, surgery will prevent any such debilitating side-effect. But we're holding that option out unless it appears she's getting worse.

I think I'm more upset about the fleas than about her knee :/. At least we know what's wrong with my poor baby girl. And now, I think I'm going to go give her some extra lovin'…

Thank you so much for your prayers and warm thoughts, it means a lot to me. Y'all are the best! :grouphug

boonpnutsmom
12-12-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm so glad she has a DX, that is the worst, not knowing what is bothering them and how to fix it. Give her a big scratch from me also please :hug

expatmom
12-12-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm glad you know what the issues are now. Hopefully, she won't need surgery.

Happy snuggles with your kitty!

Iansmama
12-12-2005, 09:21 PM
((((Steph and Emily))))

I'm glad you could get a diagnosis for her. Hope the meds and supplements have her back up and feeling better soon.