PDA

View Full Version : Urgent, need puppy care advice

TestifyToLove
12-03-2005, 09:20 PM
A had to use the bathroom really badly and fell over the 5 month old puppy trying to get there. Her left front paw has a broken bone. Its splinted and she's getting a baby aspirin every 12 hours for pain right now (otherwise she was just laying there crying softly without stopping).

The break happened around 3:30pm. She hasn't had anything to eat or drink since then except 2 bites of hot dogs the kids coaxed her to eat. I figure as she starts to recover tomorrow, she'll be more likely to actually eat or drink. What I'm worried about is that she also hasn't used the bathroom since it happened.

I've tried carrying her outside and sitting her in the grass. She can stand or sit for short periods of time (very short mind you). But, I don't know what else to do so she can use the bathroom until she learns to accomodate this paw. She's going to be splinted for at least 4 weeks. She's got to pee and poop during that time, and I don't especially want her doing it on ME.

Suggestions?????

Amber
12-03-2005, 10:02 PM
:hug I'm sorry to hear about your puppy (you would be suprised how often that sort of thing happens). If she hasn't really had anything to eat or drink then she probably hasn't had the need to go to the bathroom yet. If she still seems to be in a lot of pain tomorrow I would give your vet a call and see if they could get you a prescription pain reliever for her that would work alittle better than the asprin seems to be working. Most dogs and puppies do figure out how to get around pretty good with a leg splinted, but until she is in less pain she might no feel like getting up and doing that. I would get some piddle pads to put under her incase she urinates, that way it would be contained and not all over your house. If it is wet outside be sure to cover her splinted leg with a plastic bag to keep it dry...if the bandage gets wet it can encourage skin infections :sick

To help get her to eat and drink you could offer some canned puppy food or chicken or beef broth. If she doesn't start eating tomorrow I would give your vet a call...just a note asprin can upset their tummies just like it does ours.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Aisling
12-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Ditto on the piddle pad idea :) I hope your little fur baby starts eating for you soon!