PDA

View Full Version : Worms

Kasi
12-02-2005, 10:24 AM
So ds#1 brings home this puppy from an abandoned litter that another child rescued. The other child's parent did not help the child care for this little of pups...most of them died. This one arrived at our house extremely malnourished and full of worms. :sick2 It was maybe 3-4 weeks old when this little creature arrived at our home...he's now about 8-9 weeks old. And we are now going on his 3rd round of medicine for worms. Ick! I just want to be rid of them, and we are on the verge of finding a new home for the pup...ds#1 is not fulfilling his responsibilities with the puppy...and our older dogs are not taking well to the pup at all.

Anyone else have other solutions to try for worms? I would take him to a vet, but after breeding & raising dogs for several years, I know what to do. I'm giving him the same meds the vets would...these worms are just being persistant...and I'm trying to avoid a $150-200 vet bill.

Amber
12-02-2005, 12:53 PM
If you are on your third round of dewormer and still have a problem I would take him to the vet. The over the counter dewormers generally don't do as good of a job at getting rid of the worms as the medications that the vets have. It is also important to have a fecal exam done to make sure if you are only dealing with roundworms or if there are others present as well. Not all dewormer kill all types of worms so it is important to know what you are dealing with.