PDA

View Full Version : Best vegan chocolate chips?

gamomof2
12-01-2005, 07:03 PM
Does anyone have suggestions on good brands? Also, what about carob chips? I have never used them, but would really like to give it a try.

TIA! :grin

ArmsOfLove
12-01-2005, 07:19 PM
Trader Joe's :tu

Ghirardelli is good

carob chips are not gluten free so I haven't eaten them in a long time, but even then the "vegan" carob chips I found said "99.9% dairy free" :rolleyes

Havilah
12-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I've really tried to like carob chips, but they are :sick

I say, if you wanna cookie, go with chocolate. If you wanna be healthy, eat an apple :grin

Havilah
12-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Our hfs sells carob chips in the bulk bins, so you could try one before you committed to a *whole* bag of "I sure wish I had a chocolate chip".

Irene
12-01-2005, 08:11 PM
yeah I agree carob is pretty bad :sick

people keep saying ghiradelli is dairy free, but every time I have looked at packages (and beleive me, I look everytime I walk down the baking aisle and every single bag :blush) they all say dairy in them! what kind do you get and maybe I can ask for that kind in our stores?

I buy dairy free chips in bulk at Fred Meyer. I know you arent supposed to buy bulk because of cross contamination, but these are the pour kind with a valve type thing, so nothing can really get in from customers. they are good :)

ArmsOfLove
12-01-2005, 08:14 PM
See. now, I love carob :rockon But I grew up eating it and I don't expect it to pretend to *be* chocolate--I just like it as carob :grin

AmyDoll
12-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Ghiradelli chips - I think it has to be the double dark ones. You'll have better luck finding vegan Dark Chocolate (seems intuitive right - it's tough to find Vegan *Milk* Chocolate!)

What I don't like about Carob is when it fools me! Have you ever seen those carob things that look like M&Ms? OOOO they make me MAD when they are sitting in a little candy dish and I pop one in. :hissyfit

Punkie
12-02-2005, 10:29 AM
The ghiradelli are all made in factories with millk - even the dark chocolate. We ADORE Tropical Source chocolate chips, and they're 100% dairy free. I've always gotten them at Wild Oats and Whole Foods, but now Target is carrying them too :woohoo

gamomof2
12-02-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I've never tried either, but would really like to try using some vegan chocolate chips in my baking this year. I am determined to finally take the no dairy plunge; it has been on my mind for a long time, and I really want to give it 100%.
I have a Whole Foods near me, and a Target too, of course :grin, so I will look for the Tropical Source ones.

Thanks again! :peace

ArmsOfLove
12-05-2005, 10:31 PM
We ADORE Tropical Source chocolate chips, and they're 100% dairy free. I've always gotten them at Wild Oats and Whole Foods, but now Target is carrying them too REALLY???? :think I know where I'll be checking :grin

Punkie
12-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Yep :tu They're right next to the other chocolate chips. They look like this: http://www.shopbydiet.com/info.php?id=1450