PDA

View Full Version : Should I just flush my fish?

Kingskid
11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
So, we have six (umm, five as of yesterday) Fancy Goldfish. We noticed pretty soon after we bought the two black ones that they both kept floating near the top of the water. The one has gotten worse over the weeks and now is struggling to stay right side up. He literally spends about ten seconds fighting to swim down to the bottom and then gives up and floats straight to the top and stays there, up side down and looking dead. Then another fish will swim by and poke him and he fights toward the bottom again. I feel awful for the little guy - I mean, it can't be a very fun life. We read up on the issue and it seems that it's pretty common with fancy goldfish to have broken float bladders and I read somewhere that they eventually die from complications of it. I dunno. I feel bad for him, but then again I just can't flush an alive fish. We also read that the most humane way to "put down" a fish is to put him in a bag of water in the freezer. They apparently enjoy (using that word loosely) the colder water, but their hearts slow down b/c of it and they eventually "fall asleep." BUT - I can't imagine putting that darned thing in my freezer either and I hate to watch it suffer.

What would you do??

Katiebug
11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
I would probably put it in the freezer before I went to bed and then have DH take it out in the morning before. That way I wouldn't be tempted to check on it because I'd be sleeping.

Sad, though :hug

Bonnie
11-30-2005, 07:07 PM
Ziplock, seal, into another ziplock, into the freezer. And yeah, DH in the morning. High ick factor. Sorry about your critters!

Oh, unless your Dh is like mine and you get jokes about fishcicles... :O

OnlyBelieve
11-30-2005, 07:59 PM
Please do not flush....that is a horrible way to die.
Freeze in a ziplock or other bag in water...use your aquarium water. Before putting into the freezer, put it in a paper bag so you will not have to see it in the morning.
:candle

Kingskid
12-01-2005, 08:27 AM
:( I don't know if I can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bheart

Sanveann
12-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Somebody on this board may be able to help you figure out what is wrong with the fish: http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/index.php