PDA

View Full Version : AP baby/children's books?

waterbaby
11-30-2005, 06:22 PM
I want to get dd (9mos) some books that we can read together for now and later when she is a toddler, but I don't want the typical baby books out there showing baby in a crib, bottlefeeding, in a stroller, etc. Does anyone know of any? I like that We Like to Nurse book, I'll probably get that one soon...but are there any others? tia

Bonnie
11-30-2005, 06:54 PM
We've got some that we just love.

Guess How Much I Love You, by Sam McBratney
Available in board book form for little ones. Two bunnies talking about how much they love each other. When the little one goes to sleep,
the big one lays down "close by."

On Mother's Lap, by Ann Herbert Scott
Sweet story of a little boy cuddling in his mother's lap. He keeps adding toys and things, but objects that there won't be enough room to
add the baby. Mother shows him that there's room for everyone. The characters appear to be Native American.

Only the Cat Saw, by Ashley Wolff
Absolutely the most beautiful illustrations I've ever seen in a children's book. The family is busy with various activities, so when things like a
shooting star and a rain shower happen, only the cat sees them. In one scene, the mother nurses the baby. Simply gorgeous. Lots of light.

A few others you'll probably run across:

We Like to Nurse, by Chia Martin
A cute one. The pandas are my favorite pair. There's an illustration of a cow in it that's (probably) unintentionally hilarious, though.

Breastmilk Makes My Tummy Yummy, by Cecilia Moen
Cute, but not really a favorite. My dd likes it, though.

I'm Made of Mommy's Milk, by Mary Olsen
I read several really negative reviews of this one before buying it. I got it anyway because I'm collecting a library for my future as an LC, and
because I run a nursing moms' group. Well, the photos are awkwardly edited, actually grainy and pixellated. I've actually gotten a headache
trying to focus on them. Oh, well. Their intentions were clearly good, and they show a nursing toddler, so that's good.

TulipMama
11-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Check out Barbara Joose's "Mama, Do You Love Me?" It's great. (Recommended by another GCM to me. . .)

BluegrassMama
11-30-2005, 07:16 PM
I like Goodnight Moon and Runaway Bunny (both by Margaret Wise Brown). Goodnight Moon...the little boy bunny is put to bed gently, and his mama or grandma or whoever sits with him til he falls asleep. In Runaway Bunny, the mother assures him that she will love him and stay with him even if he pushes her away.

Speaking of bunnies... :giggle There is a book at the library that I :heart but I keep forgetting to write down the name to try to buy it. There is a mama bunny and she's putting her babies to bed all over this big house; there are 26 bunnies with names that start with A - Z. She gets them all tucked in, and then when she goes to bed they're all in her bed and that's how they sleep :lol .

Oh, I can't believe how many of our nigh-night books are bunnies. We have a Hush Little Baby by Sylvia Long, but the words are different than the usual. The mother is doing all these things putting the baby to bed. "Hush little baby, don't say a word, mama's gonna show you a hummingbird" but even though it says 'hush little baby' she's reading to him, snuggling him, singing, laying down with him, etc.

Iarwain
11-30-2005, 07:30 PM
I Love You as Much has a sweet, sweet picture of a newborn sleeping next to mama at the end and is such a lovey book.

The Cuddlers was a favorite in our family for quite some time ('til it fell apart).

The Best Gifts is another one. I want it but haven't bought it yet. These last two are in the LLL catalog.

Sorry, I can't remember authors tonight.

ETA one of my very favorite children's books, Welcome with Love by Jeni Overend. It's really about birth 'cause it tells the story of a homebirth from the big brother's viewpoint and at the end they cuddle up together. I really love this book.

Blue Aurora
11-30-2005, 07:53 PM
Mama, Mama Papa, Papa is a wonderful book. Very AP with nice illustrations.

waterbaby
12-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Mama, Mama Papa, Papa is a wonderful book. Very AP with nice illustrations.

I just bought both of those on Ebay for $5.95 (includes shipping!!)

Thank you all for your input...I wish I could buy them all! :yes

Bluegrassmama-if you think of the name of that one book about all the bunnies, will you let me know? :)

DogwoodMama
12-01-2005, 10:45 AM
I know the book BG is talking about... it's So Many Bunnies (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0688173640/qid=1133459071/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-3339595-2566540?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)! Very cute. :grin

Mama Calidad
12-01-2005, 10:52 AM
The Biggest Bed in the World, by Lindsay Camp
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=y26UbgdCkA&isbn=0060286873&itm=1
Co-sleeping and a breastfeeding illustration, too.

A Ride on Mother's Back: A Day of Baby Carrying Around the World, by Emery Bernhard
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=y26UbgdCkA&isbn=0152008705&itm=1

waterbaby
12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
oohhh, yes, I definitely plan to get the Ride on Mother's Back...that looks awesome!! :heart

BluegrassMama
12-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Hooray! Yep, that's it, and now I know what to put in Toby's stocking :tu

kycanonist
12-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Also, if you have another baby, I highly recommend the Dr. Sears books for children. They also have a potty learning book which I have been told is really good.

We are expecting and DD LOVES the books "Baby on the Way" (which is about your pregnancy) and "What Baby Needs" (which is about when the baby arrives). Both are by Dr. Sears and are wonderful! The second book shows baby bf-ing, co-sleeping in a co-sleeper and in a sling all the time! It's GREAT!!!! It's the only book I've found about getting a new baby in the family that shows how MY family lives! :)

Jacqui