PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit-Proof Litter Boxes - ideas?? *UPDATE*

domesticzookeeper
11-29-2005, 08:39 AM
I don't know how many people here have experience with house rabbits, but I figure we have some pretty innovative ladies, so here goes...

Two of the cats' litterboxes are in my bedroom (out of necessity), and whenever I let the rabbits out to play, they immediately jump in the boxes and start digging. I have no idea how to keep them out, aside from monitering their every move - and that gets pretty tiring...

I'm looking for a permanent solution, litterbox design, WHATEVER, that will prevent the rabbits from getting into the cats' litterboxes. Yes, the boxes need to stay in my bedroom (along with the rabbits), but I would like to allow the rabbits - who are normally very well behaved - to have more freedom without my constant supervision.

Thanks in advance!

JessicaTX
11-29-2005, 09:01 AM
My cats litter box is the covered kind, it also had a door, but she woudln't go in it with the door on it. If your cats are braver they might use the kind with a door, and perhaps your rabbits won't figure it out? That's a lot to hope for, hmmm. Are the rabbits litter box trained? Asking out of curiousity, not because the information will help with your dilemma in anyway. :cool

Bonnie
11-29-2005, 09:05 AM
We use a litterbox which might be helpful. Had to search for it, though, and finally found one at Petsmart. It's a big bin, kind of like a medium rubbermaid type, with a lid on top. There is a hole in the top of the lid, so a cat actually has to climb down into the box. This helped us with a cat who had aiming issues and would pee right out the door on the usual covered models. Very cool. Much neater, too. Ours is in the tiny bathroom right off our bedroom, so I sympathize.

ETA: Found it! Clevercat Top Entry Litter Box
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 7400&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033737&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1133280375569

domesticzookeeper
11-29-2005, 10:10 AM
Jessica- Yes, the rabbits are litter trained. They've actually gone in the cats' boxes, which isn't such a bad thing, but the digging gets pretty nasty.

Bonnie - that could work... :think I definitely don't think the rabbits would be brave enough to drop down into a box like that.

Sanveann
11-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Another option might be putting the litterboxes up onto something where the bunnies can't get at it.

believer
12-03-2005, 07:33 PM
I like that clever cat box - interesting. I was also going to suggest putting the litter box up high - we sometimes used to put ours on the counter in the laundry room - she could jump up there, but the dog could not. Now, the dog is 60 lbs golden retriever and she can stand up and stick her head in there, so it does not work any more. :grin

Sanveann
12-04-2005, 05:52 AM
I am so silly -- I forgot the solution that we use at our house! We have the litterboxes behind a baby gate. The cats can jump over it, but the dog (who is only 6 pounds) cannot.

domesticzookeeper
12-04-2005, 06:57 AM
I am so silly -- I forgot the solution that we use at our house! We have the litterboxes behind a baby gate. The cats can jump over it, but the dog (who is only 6 pounds) cannot.

You know, I was just thinking last night, I can put both litterboxes under my desk and gate them off. That would also solve the issue of hiding the computer wires every time they come out. Silly me :doh

Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions!

domesticzookeeper
12-06-2005, 09:43 AM
Wanted to show y'all the solution I came up with. It's kind of temporary, because we're knocking down that wall in another month, and my entire desk area will be moved/rearranged. But for now, this works:

http://x43.xanga.com/77a86b32c023320515876/m14685417.jpg
(it also has the added benefit of keeping them entirely away from the computer chords)

Bonnie
12-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Glad you found something that works for you!

Although I am compelled to point out that my DH would have a heart attack :jawdrop if he saw this picture. Cat litter and computer parts don't coexist well. ;) As his spouse I must advise that you frequently vacuum out your tower. :shifty Sorry. Not my business. Married a computer nerd and was converted by default...

domesticzookeeper
12-06-2005, 01:59 PM
:giggle

That second box, the one that's closer to the computer, isn't normally there. It's across the room, but I slide it under the desk for those times of the day when the rabbits are out ;) If it makes hubby feel any better, I'm a compulsive cleaner/vacuum-er. Most people who come over don't realize we have 8 animals :shifty