PDA

View Full Version : For a very small dog, should I paper-train or teach her to go outside?

Love
11-27-2005, 02:12 PM
I am making myself crazy thinking about our puppy so much. I have never had an indoor pet before and want things to go well, do do everything right, etc! :O

So, she is an eight-week old Havanese and we are getting her in a few days! :D

I am the most anxious about the potty issue. I thought I would just teach her go outside, but our neighbor has a very tiny dog as well, who is paper-trained. Her doogy just goes on a paper, and the neighbor just throws it away. (I had never heard of it before.)

So, the benefits of paper-training are I *think* it would be easier to teach the puppy that, and I think it would give us more sleep- a HUGE issue.
I would really not enjoy getting woke up too much, so we had planned on getting a doggy-door so the doggy could take herself out, and I was worried that our puppy- even years down the road, might wander off or get hurt outside alone, always get all muddy, or even get pregnant or something. :)
Of course, a negative of paper-training would be that either our current sweet toddler or future babies could find the dirty paper before I do. Of course I would do all I could do to not let that happen, but it would be possible. :eek

I might be over-thinking this whole thing, but I have wanted this breed and an inside puppy for so long... I can't help it! :rolleyes2
Only a few moer days and then I will do *doing* instead of thinking so much! :phew :lol

ArmsOfLove
11-27-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm a big believer in kenneling and house breaking myself. :tu

The book Culture Clash is great imo--real PD for dogs. The author is a bit passionate ;) but I've found her techniques to work really well with our dogs.

Mothering by Heart
11-27-2005, 02:42 PM
We have a large dog, but he is crate trained and house-broken. He stands by the door when he needs to go out.

I would recommend house breaking

Sanveann
11-29-2005, 05:01 AM
Most folks use "piddle pads" instead of paper ... they're absorbent pads (sort of like a flat diaper or maxi pad!) that you put on the floor. There are also litter boxes and litter especially for dogs now! I like the litter box idea, but we got Macy as an adult and she was already trained to go outside, so I didn't want to confuse her. Many small dogs (mine included) HATE to go outside in the rain or snow, though, so if you get a lot of bad weather where you live, I would train her to go inside.

Just to warn you -- Havanese, along with their cousins the Maltese and Bichons -- are among the tougher breeds to housebreak. So be patient and persistent!

Oh, and post TONS of photos of the little darling :)

Edited to add ... I just noticed what you posted about the doggy door. I would not put one in. Unfortunately, too much can happen to a small dog for her to be outside unsupervised. Even if you have a fence that would keep her in the yard and keep out other dogs, birds of prey and wild animals (even raccoons) are still a concern. My little Macy once ran RIGHT up to this massive possum. DH nearly had a heart attack. Thankfully, it played dead, but those things are SCARY! (Dirty, too.)

Also, I hope you're going to get her spayed. :) It can be SO tough to keep a female in heat in the house, and she will attract every boy dog in the neighborhood. And with such a small dog, pregnancy can be a real danger, especially if she mates with a larger dog.

Amber
11-29-2005, 09:47 AM
If I was to get a little dog I would do a combination of litter box training as well as training it to go outside. That way I could put the litter box down at night, when left alone in the house or during bad weather, but the dog could also go outside when it was nice. I would also pass on the doggie door.

I second Crystal's suggestion of "The Culture Clash" it is a great book.

AmyDoll
11-29-2005, 01:22 PM
I have a pomeranian - little dogs are the best :tu She goes outside and is crate trained. Little dogs can be escape artists. If she's outside unattended make sure that all the "pickets" in your fence go all the way into the ground and that they are close enough that she can't fit through. If you don't have a fence yet - make sure it's escape proof when you put it in. Nothin' worse that spending thousands and having a fence that doesn't keep the pups in :doh (Yes, I know from experience :doh)

Sanveann
11-29-2005, 03:52 PM
ITA! I once looked out in my back yard to notice my dog running around in the neighbor's yard! She had snuck under the fence :)