PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

milkmommy
11-26-2005, 12:58 PM
IS using Chili powder to keep cats out of a garden area cruel? Please forgive me if I'm asking a DUH question. Like I know why we would never use hot powder on a human especially a child to "keep them out or to break a habit" because we know the real damage it can do (plus its just inappropiate) but what about kitty's does it harm them, or is it just something they wouldn't care for or would it not phase them at all. Were trying to figure out an affordable "natural" solution to neighborhood kitties digging in the plants. WE DO NOT want to hurt them (or other critters that might come) we are cat people our selfs. One reason were looking for a safe solution.

Deanna

domesticzookeeper
11-26-2005, 01:43 PM
I don't think it's cruel (they probably won't be licking the dirt ;)), but I'm not sure how effective it would be :shrug

I've heard that human urine can sometimes deter cats :shifty

Sanveann
11-26-2005, 04:33 PM
I think it's more the odor of it that's a deterrent ... they're not ingesting it or anything.

This site has some more suggestions: http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/keepingout.htm

milkmommy
11-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I've heard that human urine can sometimes deter cats shifty
:laughtears it might also kill the plants though :shifty Neighbors might also complain :giggle

Deanna

booboo
12-18-2005, 02:52 PM
You're trying to protect your garden without harming animals. That doesn't sound cruel at all! Here's a suggestion someone told me about: use a little paprika on the plants. It doesn't hurt animals, they don't like the taste. :rockon