PDA

View Full Version : AP'ing and hospital procedures...

caranamomma
11-22-2005, 09:24 AM
My 11 month old needs to go in for a CT scan. His head growth has jumped on the charts and the Dr. is concerned. I'm not very concerned because having a big head is common in my family and I could tell from my first u/s when I was pregnant with him that he would have my head. Also, he was a premie (5 weeks) and I've heard sometimes this happens with premies as their heads "catch up"....anyway, he goes in today and I am very nervous about the procedure. From what I hear, they basically have to tie him down and make him lie in this machine for several minutes- how terrifying for a little baby! They told me not to let him nap today so he's tired and give him a bottle while he's in there but he won't take bottles! I'm tempted to see if I can lay in there with him and breastfeed him. My poor little baby, he's so sweet and easygoing but very attached to me and I'm so afraid this will just totally traumatize him! I STILL remember a procedure I had done when I was only 2, that was similiar to this. Any suggestions on how to make this process easier? :cry

jujubnme
11-22-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't have any experience to share, but I will pray. :pray :hugheart

Jennifer
11-22-2005, 10:32 AM
:hug2 Sorry you are going through this! My dd had similar issues. We had a ultrasound for her large head, which also is hereditary in my family. We were able to do an US instead of a CT because her "soft spot" hadn't closed yet. But she had to have EMGs and an MRI while she was young too. I don't know how they would handle the CT scan for you. The EMGs I was able to hold her the whole time and the MRI she was sedated and I was encouraged to nurse her immediately after the scan. I had told them that she didn't take a bottle and they really seemed to work with that. :pray that you will be able to comfort your little guy through this!

JamesMama
11-23-2005, 05:56 PM
:hugheart to you and your little one. Will they let you remain in the ct room and nurse your ds to sleep and be on the ready in case he wakes up?

When ds was born he had an abnormally large fontanel, they were talking about a CT Scan and possible MRI, with both of those they would sedate him and then do the scan. Thankfully God was listening to all the prayers and it shrunk to normal over the course of 1 month :amen

I'm hoping they won't suggest sedating your poor DS though!!

kycanonist
11-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Is this being done at a children's hospital or a regular hospital? I've found that children's hospitals are MUCH better at making things easier on parents and children... and they know how to better deal with nursing mothers and babies...

I'm just so sorry that you are having to go through this and I wish I had more to offer than prayers...

Jacqui

Radosny Matka
12-02-2005, 09:31 PM
:hug2 How did it go?

bliss
12-17-2005, 09:53 PM
if it's any encouragement, I just asked dd (almost 7) if she remembered any part of the surgery she went through at 11 mos and she says she doesn't remember a thing. . .

BeckaBlue
12-17-2005, 09:59 PM
:hug

can you try keeping him up, then nursing him to sleep before he goes down? the could still tie him down just in case he does wake up, but it wouldnt be as hard on him from the beginning, kwim?

my dd was sedated for her mri at 19mo

CelticJourney
12-30-2005, 07:29 PM
I'd call the radiology department and ask them what your options are. Maybe they would let you nurse him down in a darkened room and then do the scan.