PDA

View Full Version : BAAAAA! They're here!

Iarwain
11-21-2005, 08:06 AM
We got back last night with our two newest additions. We picked them up in WI and the ride back was something else! Picture a full size van with two adults, five children, two sheep, all our clothes for the weekend at gramma and grampa's, several bags of wool that we were able to get from the guy we bought the sheep from, a couple bales of hay (they are larger than you might think), and assorted buckets and gear that dh's parents gifted us with. It was rather crowded! And I must say that by the end of the 9 hours it took us to get home after picking up the sheep it did not smell so fresh. But we made it! It was a crazy adventure, but I am so happy to have them here. Besides, crazy adventures can be fun. :)

And I have pictures! Just to introduce them: They are two Icelandic ewes by the names of Blondie and Feona. Blondie appears to be pregnant and showing already and we have high hopes that Feona is bred also. This means we'll have adorable lambs in a few months! We plan to milk them if all goes well. We have never had livestock type critters before, but we hope these two will get used to us quickly and become more friendly and pet-like. Now to add some pictures and hope I do it right. I'll edit if it doesn't work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/mommasasquatch/aaaa0051.jpg

Blondie is the one in the foreground. She's slightly taller with bigger horns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/mommasasquatch/aaaa0054.jpg

I think Feona is the one with her head down munching in this one, but it's hard to tell from the picture and I forgot to check when I snapped it. I had a hard time getting good pics because they are still pretty wary of me and won't let me get real close so I had to use the zoom. Hopefully enough bribery will change that in a few days.

J3K
11-21-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm so jealous. I've always wanted sheep. And goats.

They rode IN the van with you ? or in a trailer behind ?

Iarwain
11-21-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm so jealous. I've always wanted sheep. And goats.

They rode IN the van with you ? or in a trailer behind ?

IN the van! We took out the back bench and put a tarp down with some newspaper on top of that. It was interesting to say the least. :lol

Irene
11-21-2005, 09:11 AM
wow what a fun adventure! I have to admit my dumb blondness about this issue :blush I didnt realize females had horns... I thought just males did :blush

well, I guess its that way with moose :shifty

what fun though! :tu

Iarwain
11-21-2005, 09:27 AM
wow what a fun adventure! I have to admit my dumb blondness about this issue :blush I didnt realize females had horns... I thought just males did :blush

Depends on the breed so don't feel dumb at all! Icelandics can be horned or polled (no horns) in either sex. In the horned ones the rams have larger, curlier horns than the ewes. The ram at the farm they came from has an awesome double curl to his horns. He's really cool looking! Many people prefer the horned variety because they make convenient handles when you need to grab onto a sheep and I can see the benefit of that already.

Irene
11-21-2005, 09:53 AM
ah I see! thanks for explaining! :)

boonpnutsmom
11-21-2005, 01:57 PM
They are beautiful. I am trying to talk DH into getting a goat...not going my way, lol :grin