PDA

View Full Version : Can you be veggie without beans, soy or nuts?

Irene
11-14-2005, 02:41 PM
Im not ready to commit yet ;) but I thought about cutting down on meat consumption a little bit :O

I just have a very hard time with the protein. I know that some grains have protein, but like I can tell a huge difference when we eat just a bowl of quinoa vs when we eat a bowl of quinoa and turkey sausage :shrug Do you just eat more often, like all day? we are grazers anyway :O but like this morning we had quinoa, then apples, then cookies :O and we just kept eating and eating and we werent getting anything done because we were so hungry all morning long!

Im sure I can look at recipes but wow Im so clueless how I can do this :think

Iansmama
11-14-2005, 03:04 PM
:popcorn

I wonder the same thing...we are dairy, soy, nut, egg, and wheat free. I would like to stop eating meat in our house.

I know that the body doesn't need as much protien as we (meateaters in the US) usually eat, but we do struggle with the hunger when we cut out all meat. I wonder if it just takes some adjustment, or if I need to add more fat to increase my feeling of fullness. I do notice that a bowl of oatmeal with added flax oil fills me up longer then a bowl without the oil.

I do think that a lot of it is "in my head". It feels like something is missing if there is no meat in the meal. I think it is a habit because that is all I have ever known.

Irene
11-14-2005, 03:09 PM
yeah we are also already dairy and egg free. I did read that before that we dont need as much protein as Americans think we do ;)

We do meals without meat at times, and I dont think its in my head as much as the fact that my tummy is growling 30 minutes later ;)

Irene
11-15-2005, 02:34 PM
so Im guessing from the lack of answers, the answer is no? I did make that cashew mac n cheese last night, and no one had reactions :phew and it was good!

ArmsOfLove
11-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Yes, but without any of those you would need to be more on top of things!

Irene
11-15-2005, 03:51 PM
yeah I think Im too lazy :shifty :blush I already have a hard enough time making sure we get nutrition :O (what, we arent supposed to eat cookies all day? ;) )

ShangriLewis
11-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Why no beans? Are you allergice to those as well? Yes, I think it's possible. But, you are going to eat quite a bit more food. You would probably end up eating lots of veggies and fruits.

Dr. McDougall uses a lot of grains.

Eat to live (book and diet plan) is very green intensive.

joystrength
11-15-2005, 04:19 PM
This is one of the reasons we're NOT (well, that and I guess because I haven't REALLY researched things as much as I should).
We're (DC and I are egg free). DC are dairy free. We DO have soy, though. We're ALL nut free (DH and DC are allergic. I just don't eat them around the fam. because of reactions caused from my kissing them. No joke!).

ETA: I, too, notice a HUGE difference if we don't have meat-type protein, esp. in the morning. Esp. with my DS (spirited?). I am borderline low blood sugar and suspect he is too. If we actually follow the "eat every two hours" suggestion, we do OK, though. But by the time we prep a snack, sit down and eat it ... that leaves about 1 1/2 hours before we do it again. (Kind of like nursing a newborn! :giggle

So, I'm :popcorn this thread, too.

Irene
11-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Why no beans? Are you allergice to those as well? I can have some beans, but the rest I am allergic to, and dh and ds are allergic to beans. We are also gluten free so its kind of hard to do a lot of grains :shrug

, too, notice a HUGE difference if we don't have meat-type protein, esp. in the morning. Esp. with my DS (spirited?). I am borderline low blood sugar and suspect he is too. If we actually follow the "eat every two hours" suggestion, we do OK, though. But by the time we prep a snack, sit down and eat it ... that leaves about 1 1/2 hours before we do it again. (Kind of like nursing a newborn! yeah us too. I feel like all I do is prepare food all day long. :/

lumpofclay
11-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Irene, I keep coming back to this thread, but I'm just stumped. Is meat just about your only option right now for getting protein?

Irene
11-15-2005, 10:21 PM
well, that *I* can think of ;) I mean, our family is a mix, you know with the allergies. Like anneka can have nuts, and she might have some for snacks and stuff, but or the meals where we all eat together, I just dont like to make seperate stuff for everyone. But Im feeling overwhelmed with meat every single night for dinner :shrug and its basically only beef and chicken. We dont eat pork and dh and dd wont eat fish.

milkmommy
11-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Honestly Irene IF I were you I wouldn't try to go veggie, your soo restricted as it is, I think it would be great to research and maybe learn some new veggie recipies that will work :tu but there is already soo much your family can't have I'd be scared you'd seriously have to eaither compromise needed nutrution or will go just as crazy trying to stay safe on a veggie diet. It sounds more like you need to add some options to your menu not take things away.

Deanna

Irene
11-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Oh I know, Im not going veggie, but just like what you said, Im trying to figure out some alternatives, just different things to eat! Maybe its just boredom of the same-o same-o popping up again. just different meals than meat all the time is all. :) Maybe I will just find some different recipes or something to spice things up :tu

ShangriLewis
11-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Well, what are your normal meals? (I think we should take it over to another forum, though.) Maybe we can help you find some new ones to try.