PDA

View Full Version : MIL saw a news story...

HomeWithMyBabies
11-14-2005, 07:45 AM
I love my MIL; she's generally pretty supportive of how we are raising the kids. But she just saw a story in the news about an accidental smothering (I don't know where it occured or when, but the mother had five shots of liquor and then laid down with baby) and I think she's starting to question our co-sleeping practices. She suggested I give ds some formula at night so he'd sleep longer and I could lay him down in his bassinet. I explained to her the safety measures we take. I would hate for her to worry about her grandchild's life but I also know ds is very safe with us. I suppose I could :beandip but the gravity of the situation, in her mind anyway, seems to warrant something more reassuring. This isn't about "spoiling" to her.

How awful for that mom, too, I can't imagine how she must feel. :cry Why do people do things like that? :shrug

DogwoodMama
11-14-2005, 08:06 AM
:sad2 About the baby. It is always hard to hear those stories.

A couple of things to point out to her if you haven't already ;):
-You don't drink or take drugs, so you *are* aware of your baby
-Formula-fed babies do not always sleep longer than bf babies, each baby is different...
-Babies have shared sleep with their mothers for thousands of years, world-wide it is still the "norm", what WE do is abnormal

You could always share some of the articles by James McKenna with her too.. http://www.naturalchild.org/james_mckenna/

I think that your reassurances she be enough honestly. I don't see how an accidental, alcohol-induced smothering would warrant concern about co-sleeping generally. :shrug :hug