PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever grow and avocado plant before?

Radosny Matka
11-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I am going to try it, and I hope it works. :mrgreen I'm following Ruth Yaron's instructions in her book. Organic avacado's are so expensive, so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. So...grow avacado, grow!!!

domesticzookeeper
11-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Don't avocados grow on trees? :think

I've never heard of someone actually growing them. I'm interested to see the results... :popcorn

Radosny Matka
11-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Don't avocados grow on trees? :think

I've never heard of someone actually growing them. I'm interested to see the results... :popcorn

:shrug I dunno, I'll let you know when I do. ;)

AKCristyMJ
11-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Yes, my parents did.

They did it by putting the seed in a cup water with toothpicks holding it up a bit...kwim.
Anyways well it took a verrrrrry long time before it slowly split open and sprung roots.....long time, dunno how long maybe 6mos? :shrug
Then they put it in deep potted soil and once again, long tme before it sprouted.

But boy oh boy once it did the thing went mad!

It grew very tall, kinda resembled a palm tree.

They had to replant it a lot and finnaly had it on the stair landing and soon it had swamped that area!

As big and tall as it got it never did produce any Avocados and my parents-well known for their impantience lol-I believe either threw it out or gave it away. They flat out ran outta indoor room for it too.
I do not think growing Avocado's in or outdoors in my state is a good idea lol.

Good luck!

boonpnutsmom
11-13-2005, 09:23 PM
I have a avocado tree in our backyard. It took 5 years from when we put it in the ground at waist height till it produced it's first pears. We average about 100 a season. The tree needs to be pruned after every season but ours is considered relatively small, but it stands taller than our roof.

Radosny Matka
11-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Oh poo. I guess it's not going to work for me then. My climate is much too cold. :(

AKCristyMJ
11-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Can you grow it indoors??

Once it's a tree you can probably donate or sell it to your local greenhouse.
The thing takes so long to get growin that people are happy to buy it already grown, kwim?

http://ak.essortment.com/growingavocado_rwfi.htm

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/homefruit/avocado/avocado2.html

http://www.crfg.org/tidbits/AvocadoFromSeed.html

Whoa, didn't know this!
Every indoor avocado grower holds out hope for fruit from his or her plant. This is always a possibility, but realistically it is not likely to happen. The time from seed to fruiting under good growing conditions is about a decade. Indoors, this time period is lengthened and plants may never experience good enough conditions to ever flower, let alone ripen fruit.

Lack of fruit on an indoor tree is no great loss, because seedling trees rarely produce fruits as tasty as those on commercial trees, which are grafted to good-tasting cultivars. Indoors, avocados are best looked upon as a houseplant that is inexpensive, fun to grow and somewhat attractive.

arwen_tiw
02-15-2006, 06:26 AM
Ah well. :/ I was wondering if avocado trees grown from seed indoors would fruit... I'll stick with my happy little strawberry seedlings - I'm holding out much hope for my sunny window ledge. :-)

greenemama
02-15-2006, 07:41 AM
i think it has to be really warm wherever you're growing it indoors. i think avocado plants are really pretty (addictive fruit or not :grin ) but i've never really been able to get them to sprout at all with the toothpick/water method. i think we keep the house too cold. :shrug