PDA

View Full Version : Max is gone

arymanth
11-12-2005, 08:41 PM
I posted a few weeks ago that I was thinking about putting my cat to sleep because he was urinating all over the house. Well... it came to a head this week. Before, he would mainly just go on clothes or blankets that were left on the floor. (well, and he pooped on the floor in my son's room) But over the past 3 weeks, he started going on other things... not "marking" or "spraying", but huge PUDDLES of cat urine. He went in several places on my daughter's floor (a room he hadn't messed in before. Then the next day he peed right on her bed... it soaked the pillow, the blanket and the mattress. DH said he couldn't take any more, something had to be done. He made an appointment right then, and within 2 hours, he took the cat in and had him put to sleep.

It was so sudden... I didn't even really get a chance to say goodbye. I kissed him and hugged him and gently put him into his crate and petted him there. (I didn't want him to feel afraid) Then he took him. I cried and cried, until I thought my heart was breaking. My 16yo son went with him and held him when they did it. They both came home crying. (I don't think DH thought it would effect him like that... he said he would never do anything like that again.) That night I had nightmares all night, and I woke up sobbing hysterically. Everywhere I looked, something would remind me of him and I would start crying again. It has been 3 days and I still cry when I think about him.

I've thought about it... I can't stop thinking about it... but I couldn't think of anything else we could have done. We tried every suggestion the vet came up with, all the things I found online. The vet said it sounded like a behavioral problem, and his only ideas were to lock him in a room permenantly that he couldn't damage or to give him to someone who would keep him as an outside cat. Max was like my shadow, he would scratch outside the door if I went to the bathroom or shut my bedroom door to get dressed... he sat next to me wherever I happened to be... and he slept on the pillow above my head. How could I make him live outside in a strange place or lock him up in a room? He thought I was his mommy... I'd had him since he was a baby. It would have devastated him to be separated from me. (the one night we left him alone in the house overnight, we found him hiding in the cabinet under the bathroom sink... he was terrified. When I picked him up, he wrapped his paws around my neck and didn't want to let me go! :cry)

In the end... I know he didn't suffer, and he wasn't afraid (Chris said he was purring before he fell asleep). I miss him terribly... my chest aches and I can't stop crying... but I'm the one who is suffering... not him. My 6yo dd keeps reassuring me that he is in Heaven and that God is taking good care of him for me. But it still hurts. It hurts so bad.

I don't even know why I am writing this... I guess I just needed to get my thoughts out where I could look at them. I've spent the past three days second-guessing myself...but whether I did the right thing or not, I can't undo anything now. All I can do now is try to figure out how to go on from here.

I would appreciate your prayers.

Stephanie

Mothering by Heart
11-12-2005, 09:19 PM
:hugheart

SouthPaw
11-12-2005, 09:56 PM
:cry :hugheart

boonpnutsmom
11-12-2005, 11:31 PM
:hug I am so sorry.

DogwoodMama
11-13-2005, 10:58 AM
:cry :hugheart

believer
11-13-2005, 04:17 PM
:hugheart I am sorry. My cat Homer used to sleep on the pillow above my head too. We had to have her put to sleep because she was getting old and was sick - I can't remember what it was now. I miss her too. :hug2

amstermarie
11-13-2005, 04:21 PM
:hugheart :bheart i am sorry

ranade3
11-13-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm so sorry :cry :cry :cry I had to put my dog down last December and it was horrible trying to decide what to do and then 2nd guessing myself afterwards. :hugheart