PDA

View Full Version : Trying to master knitting

DogwoodMama
11-12-2005, 09:13 AM
Why is knitting so darn hard for me? I have a "practice" piece I've been working on, and of course it is riddled with mistakes (i'm terrible for "adding" extra stitches on, don't know why). But I am scared to take it off my needles and start new because I'm afraid I won't be able to cast-on by myself! :O

Some silly questions... how "fast" do you knit? I am so slow, but I have to be... is this because I'm still learning?

I know how to do knit and purl, and I *am* going to practice casting-on... what is the "next" thing I should work on? My "ultimate" goal is to knit a soaker for the new baby, but I'm not sure what other "skills" I will need to be able to do that. My first "official" project I am planning is a simple scarf for Charlotte. Can someone recommend an "in between" project that would help me build my skills but not be too overwhelming to a newbie knitter?

Thanks! :grin

greenemama
11-12-2005, 09:38 AM
if you're not offended by the title of the book, i'll suggest that you get a copy of stoller's knitting handbook "stitch and b****." it helped me more than anything else. i'm not a master knitter :O but i have to say that the book is really well designed with projects that add one new technique each time -- you're not just practicing a few things, you're making actual items that get more complicated as you go.

and the casting on directions are super easy! it's the easiest part!

:hug it's frustrating when you end up with as weird amount of stitches that are uneven to boot.

lumpofclay
11-12-2005, 08:33 PM
I learned how to cast on by watching videos here: (not that I'm a master knitter by *any* stretch of the imagination)

http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/index.php

Mollie, that book sounds great. I don't do "practice" well, unless I'm actually going to end up with something useful. :/

Aisling
11-12-2005, 09:33 PM
:popcorn

kris10s
11-13-2005, 06:33 AM
I also recommend the SnB book. I have never seen one I like nearly as much. I would make a simple baby hat after the scarf (for the new babe) which would make sure you master decreasing... there may need to be some more projects or mini projects before the soaker...

cklewis
11-13-2005, 06:58 AM
If my lil' guy is agreeable to it today, I'm going to make a sticky about all this. . . .

Do you have a IRL friend that can look over your shoulder? Sometimes that helps.

Honestly, you just have to keep doing it. You'll get the feel for where you are adding stitches. You'll be able to spot it quickly.

I'm faster when I knit "English" rather than "continental" (I think I have the names correct). Continental knitting puts the thread in the right hand. That's how most Americans knit. English knitting puts the thread in the left hand. It goes a TON faster, if speed is what you're after. In the British Isles, kids'll knit on their way to school while WALKING!!! :hunh Can't imagine that. Of course, they learn at around 4, and there's always someone there to repair.

After casting on and off, the next skill is, like Kristen said, increasing/decreasing. There are SO many ways to decrease/increase. It's sooooooo very cool!! :tu

Then fancy stuff like cables and knit-purl designs and lace. Lace is my fav!!

More soon. . . .

C

crochetmama
11-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Along w/the SnB info, I don't have the book, however you may want to check the Local Yarn Stores (LYS) aka: not Michaels, Joanns, etc, but hte expensive stores. Ask them if there is a knitting group. You may also want to google for SnB groups. :)

As for the soaker, I say go for it (I'm also the one who's second project had CABLES on it, 3rd was socks, I'm a bit daring, or maybe its foolish??). :D But if you go for a soaker pattern, go for one you have to buy, they are *generally* better written and you can get help. One that I would recommend (however, I don't have this pattern, as I don't knit soakers) is Little Turtle Knit's soaker pattern (Theresa is on the list last I knew! :D ) She writes awesome patterns, and there is a forum of hers that has helpful information. I have her moc pattern (before it got pulled to be put into a book!!). I know someone who taught herself from the LTK pattern and now sells soakers! :D

If you aren't that adventerous, you can also do a felted bag. :) They are great as you can mess up and the felting takes care of any mistakes. :P~

Hugs,
tammy

Aisling
11-15-2005, 02:47 PM
If my lil' guy is agreeable to it today, I'm going to make a sticky about all this. . . .

Do you have a IRL friend that can look over your shoulder? Sometimes that helps.

Honestly, you just have to keep doing it. You'll get the feel for where you are adding stitches. You'll be able to spot it quickly.

I'm faster when I knit "English" rather than "continental" (I think I have the names correct). Continental knitting puts the thread in the right hand. That's how most Americans knit. English knitting puts the thread in the left hand. It goes a TON faster, if speed is what you're after. In the British Isles, kids'll knit on their way to school while WALKING!!! :hunh Can't imagine that. Of course, they learn at around 4, and there's always someone there to repair.

:yes One of my favorite opera profs was from germany, and he was a knitting fiend!! He'd be staging and knitting at the same time :giggle

DogwoodMama
11-15-2005, 02:50 PM
My bf's mom teaches knitting... I wonder if I could ask her for a quick lesson or some tips? :think

cklewis
11-15-2005, 02:58 PM
:yes One of my favorite opera profs was from germany, and he was a knitting fiend!! He'd be staging and knitting at the same time :giggle

Cool!! They have these leather belts that holds the left-handed needle so they have one hand free. Here's one (http://www.moray.gov.uk/museums/homes/whisk.htm).

C

Mother of Sons
11-15-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd need one of those belts lol. I want to knit like my Chinese friend. She holds the right hand needle like a pencil and she knits so fast!! I can do it but then my knitting is sooooo tight.

cklewis
11-15-2005, 05:41 PM
I'd need one of those belts lol. I want to knit like my Chinese friend. She holds the right hand needle like a pencil and she knits so fast!! I can do it but then my knitting is sooooo tight.

Ooooo -- interesting. :scratch I have an article somewhere around here that talks about the different styles of knitting, but I don't remember *that* one.

C

Mother of Sons
11-15-2005, 05:54 PM
I've seen it referred to as lever action online but it doesn't seem super common. I saw it on Roseanne once lol. When she saw me knitting she looked so puzzled and showed me how she does it. She and her husband were both :hunh at the size of my needles too (size 8) Size 3's are more what she's used to seeing.

cklewis
11-15-2005, 06:16 PM
I've seen it referred to as lever action online but it doesn't seem super common. I saw it on Roseanne once lol. When she saw me knitting she looked so puzzled and showed me how she does it. She and her husband were both :hunh at the size of my needles too (size 8) Size 3's are more what she's used to seeing.

I remember that on Roseanne, now that you mention it!!!! I also know that we Americans are nuts about big needles. Whem you look at European and English patterns, they just make me tired!!

C

Hannah Jo
11-15-2005, 07:57 PM
When I was a girl my local seniors center had knitting classes where sweet grandmothers would teach others how to knit. That was really nice for everyone involved.

Knitting really isn't that hard. After learning to knit and purl, increase/decrease and cast on/cast off, you can really knit just about anything if the pattern is clear enough. There are lots of books out there with simple patterns where the end result looks impressive.

Punkie
11-16-2005, 10:16 AM
My "ultimate" goal is to knit a soaker for the new baby, but I'm not sure what other "skills" I will need to be able to do that

I am making this soaker right now:
http://www.birdcrossstitch.com/soakers/pattern/index_printable.html

You just need to add stitches (which I hear you are good at :giggle ), decrease, knit, and purl. Its a fun pattern to do :)

DogwoodMama
11-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Punkie, that is really cool! I think I could do that! :grin I hope you will post a picture when you are finished.

Punkie
11-16-2005, 05:38 PM
I will! Although I must admit that it looks pretty much exactly like hers :giggle I bought the same yarn in the same color!

steffanie3
02-16-2006, 03:52 PM
I am just learning too. I took a class and made a scarf with the fun fur in it and now they are going to do a class with a hat to learn increase and decrease ( I think). :scarf I am excited they didn't just stop with the scarf. I am doing it at a local (only) craft /fabric store. Now I want to learn to crochet, people keep saying it is easier and faster. I want to make a baby blanket sometime.

ThirstyTurtle
02-17-2006, 07:29 AM
. . . you may want to check the Local Yarn Stores (LYS) aka: not Michaels, Joanns, etc, but hte expensive stores. Ask them if there is a knitting group. You may also want to google for SnB groups. :)

I second crochetmama's suggestion to go to a local yarn store. They are usually happy to help you and would help you cast on.

As for adding the stitches, I was very terrible about doing this when I first started knitting. I was also very slow. It just takes practice.

Moon
02-17-2006, 11:25 AM
My favorite free pattern is the Curly Purly one (http://www.curlypurly.com/soaker.html)! There's pics of both my babes wearing this one in the dipe forum. You only need cast on, knit, purl, decrease, and cast off. Kitchener stitch is reccomended for soakers knit in the round, there's a great tutorial for that at www.knitty.com (look at the bottom of the archives). It's very simple to do, but I still bring up the tutorial to look at every time I do it.

UltraMother
02-18-2006, 08:32 PM
When you want to practice a new, different technique, try knitting dishcloths. :) No matter how they turn out, they're still useful, and you haven't wasted any yarn.