PDA

View Full Version : Vegans, help me please!

MamatoBiz
11-11-2005, 04:27 PM
My dad and stepmom are coming for dinner tomorrow night. We are going to a puppet show, so I'd like to do a crockpot dinner. They're vegan, and I have no ideas on a yummy cold-day vegan crockpot meal. Or even, just an easy vegan dinner.

Any ideas? Please? :grin

peacefulveganmom
11-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Here's a yummy "casserole" recipe- and it's easy, too! :tu

http://vegweb.com/recipes/casseroles/3391.shtml

I used corn chips instead of tortillas and put a layer of them on the bottom (salsa first) to help hold it all together better. We don't do vegan "cheese" so we did sliced avocados on top and it was awesome!!

Vegweb has alot of great vegan recipes if you want to browse there. www.vegweb.com

If I get more time later, I'll dig up some of my other easy vegan recipes and post some links for you!! HTH

peacefulveganmom
11-11-2005, 05:10 PM
I just noticed you were looking for a crockpot recipe....sorry :O I skimmed! :giggle

I usually just throw some beans in there with potatoes, carrots, celery, whatever veggies you like and/or have on hand (corn, squash, green beans, etc. are good additions ) and a big can of diced or stewed tomatoes. Let it cook a few hours and it's good to go. Easy and yummy!! :tu

Punkie
11-11-2005, 05:14 PM
You used dried beans? I may try something like that :)

peacefulveganmom
11-11-2005, 05:42 PM
:yes Dried beans. We usually do a mixture- pinto, kidney and black- but I imagaine you could use any kind you like and it would be great! Just remember to pre-soak them over night (or at least for a few hours) or else it will take a LOT longer to cook!!

ArmsOfLove
11-11-2005, 07:30 PM
check out crockpot recipes for lentie :tu

MamatoBiz
11-11-2005, 09:50 PM
I usually just throw some beans in there with potatoes, carrots, celery, whatever veggies you like and/or have on hand (corn, squash, green beans, etc. are good additions ) and a big can of diced or stewed tomatoes. Let it cook a few hours and it's good to go. Easy and yummy!! :tu

What do you do with it when it's done? Other than eat it :giggle Serve it with rice? Is it soupy? Do you put in any water for the beans to cook in? Do you add any seasonings?

peacefulveganmom
11-11-2005, 10:55 PM
:lol Yes, you do add water. :yes I usually fill the crock pot all the way to the top. But I assume you could add a bit less if you want it thicker and less soupy. And it depends on how long it cooks for--the liquid will cook down after awhile. You can eat it plain as a "stew" type dish with some bread (vegan of course! ;)) or serve it over rice for a complete meal. We do this alot and it's good that way. As far as spices go, we like cajun seasoning or salt & pepper, but I'm sure you could use tons of other spices or seasonings to make it yummy. :yum HTH