PDA

View Full Version : My 2YO Wakes up in the middle of the night....

MySweetBabies
11-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Well - His sister came along when he was just 16 mo's old...and he's still overcoming some of that shock now 7 months later. I just about 4 months ago became a WAHM - but it took him from his "Mama" (MIL) who watched him while DH and I were at work. Now he's having a rough time sleeping. As of late, he wakes up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. I don't know if he's having nightmares or what's going on. He can stay up for hours just rubbing my arm...and let me tell you, such a gentle gesture can wear your skin raw. It gets so annoying - and I truely hate saying that since its just a sign of affection. Last night he would complain of being thirsty "wa - wa!" Then would refuse all types of drinks. /he just wanted to get up and read or whatever.

I feel like he may be trying to tell me something, but I;m having a rough time reading his ques....and the one that says to get up in the middle of the night. anyone else goin through something like this?

MarynMunchkins
11-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Yep! :) I've been giving Colin Tylenol - his teeth are bothering him.

BornFreeBaby
11-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Sounds pretty normal. Even though everyone and supposed "experts" will tell you they should be sleeping through the night.
My dd still wakes up crying between 1-2 times per night (she sleeps next to our bed in her toddler bed) and I either give her a bottle if she's really upset, or I give her the paci. (Old habits are hard to break!). If she still won't go back to sleep...

I would suspect the following:

Teething- back molars coming in ( I give the hylands teething tablets)
Too much tv during the day, (possible nightmares)
Either: too much of a nap during the day, or not enough of a nap during the day.

sometimes I find that if dd doesn't nap, she won't sleep well that night either. :shrug

dd will also play with my hair at night sometimes and it bothers me. I tell her gently, not right now, mommy is sleeping. I know it sounds mean, but I have to put some limits on that sometimes.

MySweetBabies
11-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for your responses. I was suspecting it was somewhat normal. DH is really good about getting up out of bed when Elijah gets to be too much, but I always feel bad about it, because he has to work. But between my nursling - Azalyah, and Elijah - I really don't get THAT MUCH sleep. But I do work from home, and can stay in bed longer than him.

(also, sorry for the incomprehensible sentance near the end there....I was NAK, and she was getting figity as I was typing, I was trying to hurry...lol)