PDA

View Full Version : MP3 player

2sunshines
11-02-2005, 09:24 AM
these look really cool. I'm thinking about starting to look at them.

What can you tell me about them? What brand do you have? What do you like about it? hate about it?

What features do you think are vital in an MP3 player?

Now, technical questions:

With an MP3 player, can you:

(1) put music from CD's on it (through the computer of course)
(2) play the music outload through a vehicle sound system (do you need special attachments)

Any advice or tips on someone just starting the search for a good one?

mom2threePKs
11-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Don't havemuch time but I hate the fact that my mp3 is two years old cost $150 and my 9 yo dd's is brand new, smaller, lighter weight and has more memory and cost $80. It just isn't right for her to have better technology than me! :hissyfit

other than that I love it!

Magan

2sunshines
11-03-2005, 06:43 AM
Yea, that's technology for you. :)

Anyone else???

Epieikeia
11-03-2005, 06:50 AM
(1) put music from CD's on it (through the computer of course)
(2) play the music outload through a vehicle sound system (do you need special attachments)

1) Yes.

2) No, not through a CD player in a car. I am not sure how you would do it. Personally, I would really love to get a MP3 for the car versus the CD player. :grin

Drew
11-03-2005, 12:32 PM
I have an 40GB iPod Click-Wheel. Yep, you can create MP3s from your CDs and load them in. You can also play it through your car speakers via your choice of a cassette adapter or the wireless FM transmitter. Both include a hookup to plug your iPod into your car lighter so it can charge while you're using it. I opted for the 40GB iPod because it doubles as a portable hard drive (just plug it in via a USB or Fire Wire cable) and since I'm a programmer/developer, I'm constantly moving large files back and forth between work and home.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that other major brand MP3 players like the Rio can do all of these things as well. I should also say that I'm a total PC person, so I don't just have an iPod because I'm an Apple snob. ;)

So anyway, if anyone has any questions specifically about the iPod I'd be happy to answer them.

ArmsOfLove
11-03-2005, 12:45 PM
I just did my contract renewal with Verizon and got my new phone--which includes an MP3 player :rockon

I'm :popcorn this thread because I have no idea what I'm doing :shifty

I didn't think you could transfer music from a CD--so you can? And where do you download your music from? How much does it cost?

Drew
11-03-2005, 12:58 PM
I just did my contract renewal with Verizon and got my new phone--which includes an MP3 player :rockon

I'm :popcorn this thread because I have no idea what I'm doing :shifty

I didn't think you could transfer music from a CD--so you can? And where do you download your music from? How much does it cost?

Is the phone a Motorola? Just wondering because dh works for them. He's not in the cellphone sector at all, but I'm always checking people's phones anyway. :shrug

Yes, you can create MP3s from your CDs pretty easily. I use iTunes because of my iPod, but you can also do it with Real Player, and probably Windows Media Player as well. If you have a CD burner you can make yourself some nice mix CDs without even having a MP3 player.

For buying songs, you have a couple of options. iTunes has a build-in online music store where songs are $.99 each or $9.99 (usually) for the whole CD. This is what I use because I'm lazy. Real Network (integrated with Real Player) sells MP3s (not sure of the cost) and so does Napster. The thing you want to be careful of (my uncle got sucked into this) is Napster and Real both offer a monthly membership that allows you access to their full catalog for a set price. The catch is (at least with Napster) you still have to buy the MP3s (for an additional cost) if you want to load them onto a MP3 player or burn CDs.

There are other places where you can buy MP3s, but these are the major players.

Epieikeia
11-03-2005, 01:00 PM
You can buy them at Wal-Mart.com for $0.88 a song as well.......not that I am endorsing Wal-Mart in anyway..... :shifty :P~

Drew
11-03-2005, 01:11 PM
You can buy them at Wal-Mart.com for $0.88 a song as well.......not that I am endorsing Wal-Mart in anyway..... :shifty :P~

I'm anti-Wl-Mart, so I'll pretend you didn't suggest that... :P

Epieikeia
11-03-2005, 01:13 PM
I'm anti-Wl-Mart, so I'll pretend you didn't suggest that...

:hiding :whistle :bag :crazy2

Thank you.... :hug

Drew
11-03-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm anti-Wl-Mart, so I'll pretend you didn't suggest that...

:hiding :whistle :bag :crazy2

Thank you.... :hug

I see you've already been converted. :)

BTW, I love this guy :crazy2

ArmsOfLove
11-03-2005, 05:50 PM
The phone's an LG. I got the one I got the best deal on :O

snlmama
11-03-2005, 06:19 PM
You can buy some attachment to play it thru the car stereo. I don' tknow much about it except that dh asked if that was what I wanted for Christmas. : )

Drew
11-04-2005, 08:27 AM
The phone's an LG. I got the one I got the best deal on :O

That's how I picked out my cell phone as well. :) I don't have a Motorola either (much to dh's dissapointment) because I use Sprint for my cell service and they stopped offering Motorola phones. I assume that will change now that Nextel has acquired Sprint.

kris10s
11-04-2005, 10:36 AM
I have a 40G iPod as well. We spent less than $50 for a car converter. Most of our CDs are loaded on the iPod through iTunes, plus we buy individual songs from time to time, and we have days (and days and days and days...) of music on there. It's really nice. We didn't pay for the iPod, so the car converter wasn't a big deal.

Drew
11-04-2005, 10:58 AM
I have a 40G iPod as well. We spent less than $50 for a car converter. Most of our CDs are loaded on the iPod through iTunes, plus we buy individual songs from time to time, and we have days (and days and days and days...) of music on there. It's really nice. We didn't pay for the iPod, so the car converter wasn't a big deal.

Free iPod huh? :eek Mine cost me an arm and a leg.

I think I have 11 days of audio on my iPod right now (lots of audio books) and it's not even half full. :)