PDA

View Full Version : New doc scared me about Co-sleeping.....

mom2chrisnluke
10-27-2005, 11:26 AM
My son had to have a test yesterday with a pulmonologist. He is on oxygen due to prematurity. SO we talked about SIDS and if he was a greater risk, ect. Well doc had lots to say about SIDS that was very interesting but then he starts in on Co-sleeping. He says that although it was thought to not be a risk in modern times it is now coming back and being heavily researched because it is now a suspect for SIDS. I was shocked because I have read alot and never found anything specifically with SIDS and co-sleeping but I have found accidental smother and co-sleeping. So I asked hiim about that and he said it may be SIDS because the baby that is being smothered may not be able to arouse them self to cry out and thus die. So he considered this SIDS becaus it may happen when the parent is asleep and they never know it was them who smothered the baby. I am so confused now. He seemed very well educated on the subject so I am not willing to blow him off as some uneducated doc but now I don't know what to do with my 1 month old son. I have co-slept with all three boys and don't know how to do anything else. But since my baby is already having problems I am so much more paranoid about SIDS. DO you all have any thoughts, advice? Any good solid research that may ease my mind or help me find some answers? The doc quoted many studies and I wish I had had a pen!! TIA!

Leah
Mom to 3 wonderful boys!

DogwoodMama
10-27-2005, 11:36 AM
So, he thinks your son is at particular risk for smothering? :scratch

I think you know that co-sleeping is safe, especially when appropriate measures are taken to choose a safe surface, keep pillows & bedding away from baby, etc. I think he is confusing what I call "unplanned" co-sleeping (on couch, in bed not made safe for baby, parents suffering from exhaustion, drug/alcohol factors) with co-sleeping generally. You've done it safely so far with 3 ds yourself! :tu

James McKenna has studied co-sleeping extensively, I'll try to find some links.

Honestly, in your situation I wouldn't WANT to have him far from me. I really think that as an experienced co-sleeper he would be fine in bed from you. Also "smothering" is NOT SIDS... it is "smothering"! SIDS is death from unknown causes...

Maybe this would work as a compromise while he's still so little... a snugglenest that has "sides" to prevent accidental roll-overs, or a basinet or co-sleeper next to your bed? I'm not convinced they are necessary, but maybe for your peace of mind?

Dana Joy
10-27-2005, 11:40 AM
recentlt the american academy of pediatrics put out their (imo very biased poorly researched misleading study) against co-sleeping.
some people and organizations i trust refuted the aap statement here
https://www.askdrsears.com/news/headlines1005.asp and here
http://www.lalecheleague.org/Release/sids.html

Soliloquy
10-27-2005, 01:54 PM
It sounds like this doctor was really warning against smothering, rather than SIDS. If you're worried about smothering, a Snuggle Nest or an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper is great for peace of mind.

I agree with the PP that it's essential to keep a preemie close to the mother. Babies who sleep close to their mothers arouse more and wake more and feed more, which protects them against SIDS. As long as you're not a smoker, you don't wear perfume, and you wash your sheets in unscented detergent, your baby is safest with you. (There has been some recent concerns that preemies and newborns are especially sensitive to perfumes and an allergic reaction could cause breathing problems.)

jondee0
10-28-2005, 05:29 PM
James McKenna's website is my favorite for co-sleeping info, as he himself is a researcher :). Here's the link to his website:

http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/

Joni and kids :nak

herbalwriter
10-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Co-sleeping reduces the risk of SIDS...your closeness keeps the baby stimulated even in its sleep. The mother's breathing acts as a "pacemaker" for the baby's breathing.